cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG 5520 won't print

dipope
Apprentice

My MG 5520 won't print.  I reloaded the drivers.  The printer is on the wifi and the computer is on the wifi but the computer will not 'talk' to the printer.  I can't find the correct USB cord to connect it directly.  When I looked at the properties of the printer (on the printer itself) I noticed it did not have an IP address listed.  That was blank.  Could that be the problem?  How do I find out its IP address?

It would not print the test page.  It gives me a 'printer is offline' error

I can make copies on the printer and it has ink

I did get a new router but I connected the printer to the new router using the printer's menu.

Thanks for any advice!

Diane

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

HI Diane,

If the IP address field on the printer's display or status page is not populated, I doubt its connected to your wireless network.  The fact that it shows offline s further proof of this.

Have you logged into the router to look there.  It will show a list of attached devices.  Once you know what it's IP address is, see if you can ping it. 

The printer will only connect to a 2.4Ghz broadcast, so of your router is dual or tri-band, try giving each network its own SSID name and see if that helps. 

I also suggest using the latest drivers for your OS to perform the installation:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mg-s...

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

HI Diane,

If the IP address field on the printer's display or status page is not populated, I doubt its connected to your wireless network.  The fact that it shows offline s further proof of this.

Have you logged into the router to look there.  It will show a list of attached devices.  Once you know what it's IP address is, see if you can ping it. 

The printer will only connect to a 2.4Ghz broadcast, so of your router is dual or tri-band, try giving each network its own SSID name and see if that helps. 

I also suggest using the latest drivers for your OS to perform the installation:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mg-s...

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

My problem is similar...I can see my priinter on the router and the printer shows the IP address so I know it works up to that point. I can use the printer if my laptop is connected via USB but when I try to setup wirelessly it can't find my printer.  I tried the IJ Network Tool and it can't find it either.  I have removed and installed the latest software quite a few times.  I think what may be the problem is that I had deleted the Canon BJ Network Port.  I see it on my other laptop.  I was assuming the installation package would create this port but no luck....am I right/wrong?  If not how to I get it back.

Thanks in advance

Randy

Hi RandyLB,

If the printer is on the network and has an ip address, there might be a different cause to your issue. The Canon BJ Network port will install with the setup but won't install if the printer can't be detected.

In this situation, you can try unplugging your router from the power for 5 seconds and then plugging the router back in. Once the router is back up, you can try reinstalling the MG5500 serie MP drivers from the link HERE. I would suggest turning off any security software that might be blocking the printer detection before starting the install.

If the printer is still not being detected, i would need some additional information to assist further. You can print a network page using the steps in the link HERE and you can replay with the information below.

1. What is the signal strength?
  2. Does the SSID name match the name of network that the computer is connected to?
  3. What is the printer's ip address?

Thank you for the response,  I installed the latest drivers and then I comp,Evelyn restarted my modem and router. Once everything restarted the printer was working!  I appreciate the help. 

My problem is that it works on one of my laptops and my desktop but not my other laptop.  Was ok for years.  But.....I am missing that Canon CNBJNP port and no amount of times reinstalling the software fixes it.

BTW....I am using Windows 10 64-bit, OS Build 1909.

@dipope wrote:

Thank you for the response,  I installed the latest drivers and then I comp,Evelyn restarted my modem and router. Once everything restarted the printer was working!  I appreciate the help. 

Greetings,

Glad I could help. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes it is dual band and I am on the 2.4Ghz SSID for the Printer

I pinged it and all ok on that

Wiindows 10 is updated - new build just installed a couple days ago

I tried the IJ Network Tool - won't display the Printer unless I set it up as USB (I want wireless)

I am connected via my other Laptop and my Desktop with no problem

The main problem I see is the there is no CNBJNP Port.  I thought the Canon software would add the port but it doesn't.  From what I read the IJ Network Tool should do this also, but doesn't.

I even found the European software for the 5500 series because it specifically has the Executable to add the Canon Port but that didn't work either.

I have no other issues with the Laptop---like I said it does find it on USB if I connected it via the USB cable.

The IP address shows up ok in the printer settings and router settings  --  same as I use on my other PC and Laptop.

Thanks for your response

Randy

@RandyLB wrote:

Thanks for your response

Randy

Hi Randy,

You are hi-jacking another user's thread.

If you are having an issue, please start yout own topic. Your issue deserves its own attention and visibility.  No environment is identical, hardware, software, etc. 

Your post should include:

The model of your printer

The operating system you are using it with

The drivers version you are installing and a description of the problem you are experiencing

Any troubleshooting steps you have performed and the results are also helpful

This process makes it easier for us to assist and allows others to follow and find solutions.

Thanks

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements