cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF8380Cdw loses wifi after sleeping

dspitz
Apprentice

I've seen variants of this issue posted, but with no solution.  We are using Macs with various versions of OS X; I am writing this from a computer using OS X Yosemite 10.10.1.  We have had a Canon MF8380Cdw for a couple of years.  The driver name is "Canon_MF8300C_Series" and our driver version is 10.2.0. We use an Apple Time Capsule as our wifi router.

Somewhere along the way, the printer started dropping wifi connectivity when it sleeps.  Trying to print does not wake the printer up (it used to).  Further, exiting sleep mode using the printer keypad fails to re-establish wifi connectivity.  We have to manually power cycle the printer for it to re-aquire wifi connectivity.  As you can imagine, having to power cycle the printer almost every time we want to print is pretty frustrating.

Is there a solution for this?  If not, I will switch to another brand of printer that does not have this issue.

1 REPLY 1

Patrice
Whiz

Hi dspitz.

I will be glad to assist you.

I recommend downloading and installing the firmware update for the machine.  Please follow the instructions below:

To find out if a firmware update is available for your device, please follow the instructions below:

1. Visit http://consumer.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer

2. Type you model name into the search box and select it from the list that appears. 

3. Click the 'GO' button to get to the Drivers & Software page for your model.

4. From the Drivers & Software page, Select your Operating System and Version from the provided drop-down menues.

5. If an update is available, the description will appear after clicking the red triangle next to the word 'Firmware."

Note: The image below is for a model that does offer a firmware update.  Many models will not feature any user installable firmware updates.

You will need to enter the serial number of the device to begin the download.
  6. Click directly on the name of the file to begin the download process.

After installing the firmware update, please allow the machine to return to energy saver mode and verify if you experience the same issue.  If the issue persists, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements