cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF743Cdw connects to the Internet but remains invisible

67L48
Apprentice

Brand new Canon MF743Cdw.  Set up per the instructions.  Connects to the internet correctly.  It gets assigned and IP address.  I was able to download and upgrade the firmware through the internet.  So, it is absolutely connected properly with full access on my LAN.

However, it's invisible to everything but iOS devices.  My iPhones and iPads can log into the IP address through a browser.  Four different PCs cannot:  1 old Win10, 1 new Win10, 1 MacBook, and 1 Mac.  So, lots of different computers.  None can find the printer.  I have tried the Canon drivers and the computers' methods of adding a new printer.  No printer can be detected automatically.  When I add the IP address of the printer, it cannot be found.  When I type in the IP address into a browser, it times out and cannot connect.

My router doesn't see the printer, either.  Again, the printer is connected and can access the internet (firmware download).  But, my router does not list it among the connected devices.  Completely invisible.

My iPhone, however, can connect via a browser.  So can my wife's and son's.

I have downloaded the Canon PRINT Business app.  However, even on the Apple devices that can find the printer via browser, they cannot find the printer through any method of detection.  Not even the NFC works.  There is one exception:  QR Code.  I can use the QR Code to connect my iPhone to the printer through the Canon PRINT app.  And, it works most of the time.  It's flaky and the printer will suddenly go to "Not Connected" status and then a few minutes later will go green light Ready mode.  Really odd.

AirPrint does not work.  I have turned it on and off several times via the remote management through a browser:  System Manager Mode > Settings/Registration > Network Settings > AirPrint Settings.

Once, I got an email print to find the printer and was able to get an AirPrint success.  But, that was fleeting.  I can't duplicate it.

I have restarted the printer many times.  I have reset my router.  I have gone from an auto IP address to a fixed IP address.

Nothing I do will get this printer to show itself.  I cannot use this printer.  It's an absolute phantom on my LAN.

24 hours later and I'm about ready to throw this thing out in to the street.  Any ideas?  Internet searches have proven unfruitful and I haven't had an opportunity to call Canon.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

67L48
Apprentice
I stumbled backward into the solution for me:

PROTOCOL!!!!!

When I was toggling the Auto Acquire (IP Address) on and off, I noticed this field: Select Protocol. It was set to OFF and the other option was DHCP.

I thought that dynamic host config protocol sounded familiar ... I knew the acronym but didn't really know what it did. On a lark, I just flipped that switch. Restarted everything ... and everything works perfectly now.

Amazing that I spent hours on this -- tinkering, reading, searching the web, etc. Finally, the last act of a desperate man, I wrote the above post. Then, within minutes, I bumbled and stumbled into the solution.

I still think the symptoms above are really odd ... sort of partial functionality.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

67L48
Apprentice
I stumbled backward into the solution for me:

PROTOCOL!!!!!

When I was toggling the Auto Acquire (IP Address) on and off, I noticed this field: Select Protocol. It was set to OFF and the other option was DHCP.

I thought that dynamic host config protocol sounded familiar ... I knew the acronym but didn't really know what it did. On a lark, I just flipped that switch. Restarted everything ... and everything works perfectly now.

Amazing that I spent hours on this -- tinkering, reading, searching the web, etc. Finally, the last act of a desperate man, I wrote the above post. Then, within minutes, I bumbled and stumbled into the solution.

I still think the symptoms above are really odd ... sort of partial functionality.

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello 67L48,

I'm glad you found the answer to the issue, if you run into any other issues in future, feel free to post again. You can also get help over the phone with our support team at 1-800-652-2666.

Announcements