cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop/Printer wifi connectivity issue

aly
Apprentice

My new PIXMA iP8720 printer is connected to wifi, but my laptop (Microsoft Windows 10) is not recognizing the printer. It may be an issue with a firewall, but I cannot figure it out. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Aly,

Good Work!

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

Try installing the printer driver from our website.  The printer should be installed using our driver installation rather than the add printer or add device wizards on Windows.  The drivers can be downloaded at the following link:

PIXMA iP8720 Drivers & Downloads

Once there, download and install the iP8700 series Printer Driver Ver. 1.01 [p86l-win-ip8700-1_01-ea33_3.exe].

If the driver installation cannot detect the printer, check to make sure that your computer is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the printer.  If your router uses both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 Ghz frequency bands, make sure that the computer is on the 2.4 GHz network in order to communicate with the printer.  Also, if you use any VPN software on the computer, disconnect from the VPN when attempting to access the printer.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

aly
Apprentice
What is VPN software and how do I disconnect?

aly
Apprentice
Michael - thank you for the instruction! I figured out what VPN is and disconnected. Still not working. Any other suggestions?

Hi Aly,

Welcome to the Canon Forums.  Your original post states your new printer is "connected to WiFi".  Please tell us how you have confirmed this?

What is its IP address? 

I think what you meant is you want to connect the printer to your wireless network? Thats OK, we'll try to help.

The printer can only connect to a 2.4Ghz wireless network, it does not support 5Ghz.  If you are using a dual band router with one SSID, the printer may not find the correct network.

Please confirm your router is broadcasting a 2.4Ghz signal.

It doesn't matter how other devices connect to your network.  Wired ethernet, wireless 2.4 or 5Ghz.  The router will allow  devices to print once the printer has been connected to the 2.4Ghz network.

As @Michael pointed out, if you are using a corprate or private VPN, you must disconnect from it in order to install the printer. 

The following are instructions for a Cableless SetUp  Please review the document, then follow its steps.

What's needed:

Router must be broadcasting a 2.4Ghz signal

Computer must be connected to the same network you want to add the printer to (Wired, 2.4 or 5G)

Computer disconnected from corp or private VPN

Pressing the wireless button on the printer for proper detection (in the doc above)

If the above doesn't help, please provide the steps and error messages you received during the installation attempt.

We can help you troubleshoot further if needed. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Aly,

Good Work!

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

aly
Apprentice
Got it! I was pressing the wrong button on the access point and there was a firewall on.
Thank you!
Announcements