cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep having to reinstall network printers

GerryPeters
Contributor

I have a Canon MX920 and a MX410 on a Win 10 computer. I have those printers installed as network printers on my 2nd Win 10 computer with a wired network. Every few days or a week I have to reinstall both network printers, because they stop working for no apparent reason. Yet they always work fine on the computer they're connected to with USB. 

How can I stop these printers from stopping to work on the network?. It seems they are listed as offline when this happens.

12 REPLIES 12

My network printers were working fine until MS did some forced Win Updates and then about every 2 days I'd lose my network printer and have to remove and reinstall using Control Panel. After this happened for about 2 weeks, I decided to revert my C drive to an earlier backup image for Nov 2019. I did that about 2 weeks ago and everything is fine, not losing my network printers anymore. 

I normally have Win Updates disabled in Services, but somehow it was on manual triggered and that's how MS did the forced updates. I prefer to do the updates when I need to, so I can observe any problems due to the updates.

Here's a previous related post of mine.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Wireless-Networking/Keep-having-to-reinstall-network-printers/m-p...

Does anyone know any solution to this Win Update problem? Which update to avoid or what? I'd like to update, as long as I don't lose my printers periodically

meenxo
Apprentice

This is not a solution for me, I had a static IP set for my printer from day one. I also have my router keep the IP from rotating from the printer. Anytime my printer goes to sleep or is turned off I lose access to the printer and I have to add again. You'd think we'd have a solution for this by now but nothing yet, until think I guess I'll have to keep adding the printer. I guess this is an "easy solution" if you are having a static IP issue which is not my case. 😛

My workaround is to turn off both computers every night and then first turn on my downstairs computer and then turn on my upstairs computer which has the printer connected. I rarely lose the printer and if I do I just reboot both computers.

I now have it setup with my BIOS to turn on the computers around 8am and 8:15am, so when I'm ready to work both computers are up and ready

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements