cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a Cannon MX510 all in one printer with wi fi ability, now wont connect through wi fi

SPet1
Contributor

Hi Everyone,

Ok here it is, I have a Cannon MX510 all in one printer, I have it set up through wi fi for wireless printing, it has worked perfectly from day one, then the other day it would not connect through my network, I checked my security settings multiple times and tried everything I can think of and without any luck. I reset the printers Wi Fi connection to connect to my wireless access point and it says it's connected, yet when I go to print it says the printer is not responding? This is driving me nuts...literally LOL I've check to make sure my settings are set to share with the network and home group... What else is there? in my printers it shows the MX510 printer and a MX510 WS printer what's the difference, I tried them both.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer me!

Thanks All

SPet1

8 REPLIES 8

Danny

Hi, SPet1!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which operating system is running on your computer (i.e. Windows or Mac OS X, and which version thereof). That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

Hi Danny,

I have an HP envy running windows 8.1 with wi-fi and a linksys EA 4500 dual band wireless router.

Thanks Danny!

How stringent are your security settings on your wireless router? Try rolling them back a bit, and then try it again.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi,

I don't think that's the problem, I just checked the router settings and the printer says it's connected to it's access point,

yet I can't get it to print on my wi fi connection.

Thanks for the input though.

Steve

@SPet1 wrote:

Hi,

I don't think that's the problem, I just checked the router settings and the printer says it's connected to it's access point,

yet I can't get it to print on my wi fi connection.

Thanks for the input though.

Steve

I know it doesn't make sense that router settings could be the problem.  I had the same problem, but with a different Canon wireless device.  My device stopped printing one day.  See this thread.

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Wireless-Networking/Pro-100-Not-Communicating-Solved/m-p/154298#U1...

I had the same problem.  I disabled my router's ACL, Access Control List, and voila, everything has worked perfectly.  If I turn it back on, then it stops printing.  Turn it off, and I can print again.  Yes, I know it doesn't make sense. 

Hi Waddizzle,

I'm not sure where to find the ACL list in the router's program, but I'll for sure look into that. I'll check for it.

Thanks For the input, I'll let you know what I find. Under what Listing would this ACL list be located?

I do not see such a list in my routers software, unless it's called something else?

Again, Thanks

SPet1

It is commonly called Access Control List.  It is normally disabled, be default, in most routers.  You would normally have to enable it. 

What it does is that the ACL is a listing of WiFi card MAC addresses.  You would enter the MAC addresses of the only devices that you would want connecting to your router.  It is quite useful in urban settings.  I can look at my WiFi card and see well over a dozen available devices in my immediate area, and not all of them are well secured. 

When I configured my printer using WPS, I had to disable it to allow the printer to connect.  Once a connection was established, I could read the MAC address, enter the printer's MAC into the list, and then enable ACL mode.  It worked at first, but over time it wouldn't communicate at all.  Then I remembered the ACL, temporatialy disabled it, and suddenly my printer could communicate. Of course, now if I enable ACL mode the printer stops communicating until I disable it.

Thanks ,

I am going to check this out.

Take care and thanks again.

Steve

Announcements