cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to be sure printer does NOT connect to internet

HLily
Contributor

Hello,

I have just installed a Canon MG7520 printer via a USB cable only - not through any wireless network. I do not want the printer to be able to access the internet in any way and wanted to be sure that using strictly a USB connection will accomplish this. I am not printing from any other device other than the computer to which this is attached - no air print or smart phone, etc.

I don't see any specific settings that I can change to be sure that there is no communication between this printer and my wireless network. I did not input any log-in information, so this should be striclty a wired printer - like in the "olden days" - correct!?

Thanks!

LH

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you just plug it in via USB and don't activate any wifi functions it won't connect. As long as the blue wifi light is not illuminated the printer isn't even activatiing wifi.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks Jon! As I thought, but I wanted to check to be sure. I had another printer that was on the network and it was connecting without my knowledge and went through absolutely tons of my precious, limited data usage in half a day. Crazy - so I wanted to be sure it didn't happen with this one!

Wow. I never heard of a printer consuming data. Was it just sitting there?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Indeed - just on and conncected to my network.

I probably wouldn't have realized it as quickly except that I was near one of my usage thresholds and Verizon emailed to say I had gone over that limit - used about a week's worth in several hours. Seems it was downloading updates and who knows what else. I did finally track down how to turn off everything except the basic wireless and connected it to my computer via USB so it doesn't even need to be on the network unless I am printing from my laptop - which I only do rarely and immediately shut the wireless back off.

That one is an HP.  It is a terrible printer - very poor quality prints, pictures are dull, and I am so sorry I ever bought it. I am happy with my new Canon so far - the picutre quality is much better and it seems fine so far.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements