cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed IP Address for MacOS 15 Catalina with Pixma TR8520

billmccl
Contributor

I need to print to my Canon TR8520 from my Mac Pro running MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 with a fixed IP address.  I cannot get this to install using a fixed IP address for the printer on my LAN.  My Windows 10 machine works fine.

There are no MacOS drivers on the distribution disk or on the Canon support website.  I have not been able to find any information on the forum for fixed IP as opposed to wireless network access.

When I try to load the printer onto the Mac Pro, I place the IP address into the appropriate spot on the MacOS settings/printer page, but the Mac Pro cannot find the drivers, and there are none available from Canon.  MacOS selects the "Generic Postscript Driver" which has minimal functionality.

Any help appreciated....

9 REPLIES 9

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi billmccl,

With macOS v10.15, there are no drivers to download, as the PIXMA TR8520 uses the Mac's built in printing system, Airprint.

To install the printer, first, please make sure that your computer is connected to the same wireless network as your PIXMA TR8520.  Please tap the Wi-Fi symbol on the display of your PIXMA TR8520.  The name of the network that your printer is connected to will be listed next to "SSID".  Next, on your Mac, please click the Wi-Fi symbol in the upper right corner.  Please make sure that the name your computer is connected to is the exact same name as SSID on your printer.

Once both are on the same network, please follow these steps:

1.  Click the Apple in the upper left corner and then System Preferences.

2.  Click on Printers & Scanners.

3.  Click the [+] at the bottom of the left side.

4.  In the "Add" window, your Canon TR8500 should appear.  Click on it 1 time.

5.  At the bottom, next to "Use", please select Airprint from the drop down box.

6.  Click Add.

Your PIXMA TR8520 will be installed.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I am quite confused by your reply.

You have defined the wireless network connection, which works.  That is not the problem.

I am trying to connect using an ethernet wired connection with a fixed IP address on the network so as to allow connection from other places on the LAN out of range of the wireless connection.

The promotional material says that the TR8520 can be connected via ethernet, and there is an ethernet connection on the printer.

So how does one connect to the TR8520 using ethernet and not wireless connectivity?

Greetings,

I assume your definition of "fixed" IP means static?

How did you set this statically assigned address?

On your router, on the printer, etc?

Did you use address reservation, (by the NIC's MAC Address)?

Whats the IP address of the printer?

What is the IP address of the MAC Computer?

Are you able to reach the printer's webserver in a broswer?

Start by answering these questions.

**Also, if you seach my username and "static IP" you'll get many, many hits.

static IP.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I assume your definition of "fixed" IP means static?

Yes, for sure, a static IP address.

How did you set this statically assigned address?

On the DHCP server and on the printer...

On your router, on the printer, etc?

Yes

Did you use address reservation, (by the NIC's MAC Address)?

As above on the router and on the printer by IP address.

Whats the IP address of the printer? What is the IP address of the MAC Computer? Are you able to reach the printer's webserver in a broswer?

The IP address is the address from the reserved IP address on the router, 10.xxx.xxx.xxx and programmed into the printer in the LAN configuration of the Canon printer.  The wireless congifuration of the printer works with the reserved IP address.

I simply want to avoid wireless connectivity and use the ethernet connection on the back of the printer.

Thanks for your response, and any help appreciated.  Not clear to me why the printer seems to insist on a wireless connection to a user's network.

Hi billmccl,

It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives via phone. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for your response.

I away from home till next week, will plan on contacting Canon support next week to determine how to get the printer on the network with a static IP adress.

Hi billmccl,

To specify an IP address, please follow these steps:

1.  Turn your PIXMA TR8520 on

2.  Press the gear icon at the bottom of the display

gear.png.

3.  Select Settings

4.  Select Device settings

5.  Select LAN settings

6.  Select Common settings

7.  Select TCP/IP settings

8.  Select IPv4  and then Yes

9.  Select IP address

10.  Select Manual setup

11.  Tap in the first box.  Enter the desired number and press OK.  Then tap the second third and fourth boxes and enter your desired IP address for your PIXMA TR8520.  Once entered, press OK.

12.  Using the same method, enter the correct subnet mask and press OK.

13.  Enter the IP address of the default gateway and press OK.

14.  Press the Home icon in the upper left corner.

The IP address will be assigned to your printer.

To view this, press the LAN icon in the lower left corner of the main menu.  The IP address will appear on the next screen.

billmccl
Contributor
Somehow, my problem is not clear. The printer is configured to the desired static IP address, no problem. Confirmed when printing the LAN settings from the printer.

When I go to the printer configuration settings on MacOS 10.15.3, I configure the printer’s static IP address, and the MacOS configuration then asks for the 8520 drivers which are not available, nor can they be found anywhere online.

What am I missing here???

Hi billmccl.

The TR8520 uses Airprint or Secure Airprint drivers, provided by Apple.  If they are not present on the computer, you will need to contact Apple support (non-Canon link: https://support.apple.com ) for help downloading them.

Announcements