cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver Installation - Cannot Detect MF644Cdw

WhatWouldJoseDo
Apprentice

My Lenovo Y510P running Windows 10 is not detecting my MF644Cdw when installing drivers.

I printed from my iPhone installed the software successfully on a Lenovo Flex 3 - both on the same network.

I successfully pinged the printer from my Y510P, and can login to the remote UI from it.

From Settings > Printers & Scanners I can see the printer if I try to add it from that menu.  This does not allow me to print from it but does let me download an app that doesn't seem particularly useful.

I disabled my firewall trying to detect it automatically and manually entered the IP..

I have read a number of other posts on this community in an attempt to use the advice other folks have received and still haven't gotten it done.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi WhatWouldJoseDo.

Your tests show that the printer is on the network, and is being allowed to communicate with the printer by your router/modem.  Since the printer still isn't being recognized by the computer, try the following:

1. Hold down the Windows key and press the letter R to open the Run command bar.

2. In Run, type in: services.msc

3. Hit enter.

4. In the Services window, find the "Print Spooler" and ensure it is enabled and running.  If it is stopped, ensure the startup type is set to Automatic.

5. Find the "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)" service. Ensure it's enabled and running, and that its startup type is also Automatic.

Once this has been completed, close the services menu, and then try reinstalling or adding the printer again. 

It's also possible, even with the firewall disabled, that your antivirus may interfere with the printer's communication.  Ensure the antivirus is updated, and try running the installation as an administrator (right-click >> Run as administrator).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

So you have a MF644Cdw connected to your network and can print from 2 other devices.

3rd device can PING and access its webserver, but will not detect for install

Is the printer connected wired or wireless?

And the laptop is connected how?

Which driver are you using for install?

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/color-laser/color-imagecl...

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

WhatWouldJoseDo
Apprentice
Thank you for the reply!

Printer and laptop are both connected to the same WiFi network.

I have attempted to use:
- the bundled recommended drivers for 64-bit Wndows
- the standalone printer driver

I downloaded and ran the bundle first, ran the bundle off the CD, then downloaded the standalone driver. None detected the printer with or without entering an IP address.

I also used a Windows utility to clean up old drivers in case my multiple attempts were stepping on one another

Hi WhatWouldJoseDo.

Your tests show that the printer is on the network, and is being allowed to communicate with the printer by your router/modem.  Since the printer still isn't being recognized by the computer, try the following:

1. Hold down the Windows key and press the letter R to open the Run command bar.

2. In Run, type in: services.msc

3. Hit enter.

4. In the Services window, find the "Print Spooler" and ensure it is enabled and running.  If it is stopped, ensure the startup type is set to Automatic.

5. Find the "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)" service. Ensure it's enabled and running, and that its startup type is also Automatic.

Once this has been completed, close the services menu, and then try reinstalling or adding the printer again. 

It's also possible, even with the firewall disabled, that your antivirus may interfere with the printer's communication.  Ensure the antivirus is updated, and try running the installation as an administrator (right-click >> Run as administrator).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Success!  Both processes were running and set to Auto.  I shut down my anti-virus.  Printer discovered, drivers installed, protection reactivated 🙂

Thanks!

Hi Darius,

I'm having the same issues with my Mac.  The computer can find the printer but, when I print, it never stops "searching" for the printer.  I can print from my phone and mobile devices with no issues.  

The only way I can print from my computer is to uninstall the printer and reinstall the drivers.  I can then print from my computer that day.  I've never been able to print on day 2 without having to go through the unistall/reinstall process.  

What is the process on a Mac to get the computer to find my printer (also a MF644Cdw) without having to reinstall the drivers every day?

sannairm
Apprentice

This was useful. After going through the same steps still i was not able to find the device. I turned off my vpn which is connected to my office post that i was able to detect the device. I thought to add this so that others if they face same issue can also look at vpn. 

dew
Apprentice

I found a way to install drivers! Install any linux distro you want, install packet gutenprint (u can search whats it's name for your distro) And it works! Btw in fedora linux, everything is pre installed and you just connect and work.

Announcements