cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does it have to be connected???

JBN2019
Apprentice

This is probably a silly question, but - - - - - - -

I have a MX459 printer. It was hardwire connected to a desktop computer and then several of us in the house are connected to it wirelessly. We just today disconnected the desktop because we don't use it at all. We all have chromebooks or laptops. Anyway, does the printer have to be connected to a computer (wired) in order for others to connect to it wirelessly? I was hoping to just have the computer plugged into the wall, but didn't think about it having to be connected to a computer. Anyone able to answer this silly question? Thank you in advance!!

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This depends.  The description of your environment is a bit vague and the terminolgy unclear.

The printer does have a webserver, If enabled, wireless devices can print to it directly using AirPrint (apple or PC) or Cloud Print (Android / Google equipment). 

To utilize all of the printers capabilities, I'd connect it to your network.  This way any device that connects to your network (wired or wireless) will also have the ability to print.  If you don't do this, some of your devices may have to disconnect from one network in order to connect directly to the printer and print.  Not true in every situation.  Having all devices connected to the same network means any device can find and use the printer since all will be on the same network.  Hope this helps.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

To be more clear, I am just asking if the printer HAS to be connected to a computer in order for other computers to connect wirelessly?  I want to get rid of my desktop and just connect other devices wirelessly to it, but can't figure out if that is possible.  

Thanks for your help!

Hi, JBN2019!

Welcome to the Canon Forums!

The Forums aren't intended for immediate assistance. If your question is of an urgent nature, please call our US-based support team at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) during normal business hours, or visit our support site for self-help options HERE.

If you're outside of the USA, please click HERE to find your support options. 

Hi, JBN2019,

So long as the printer is connected to your network, it does not have to be connected to a computer by a hardwire. If you disconnect the printer from the computer and by some chance you do lose your connection, please click HERE and follow the steps to connect the printer to your network using the standard setup.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements