cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D420 Wake on LAN?

StevenZK
Apprentice

I have never been able to allow others on my network to print if my iMac is sleeping - only if I wake it up.

I'm wired and now running Big Sur 11.2.2 and thought it was high time to stop this nonsense.

Needless to say, I can't figure out how to do this.

Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Maybe this will help:

The D420's connection interface is USB.

It does not have any networking capability and thus, "Wake On LAN" is not a feature supported by this type of connection.

In your case, the printer connected to your MAC is "shared" which means other devices on your network can find the D420 and print to it when your MAC is on, but not when its sleeping or off.  

There is only one true solution.  Buy a network capable printer.  One that has wireless or Ethernet connection.  This will take your MAC out of the equation and allow devices to print regardless of whats present, turned on, off, etc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Maybe this will help:

The D420's connection interface is USB.

It does not have any networking capability and thus, "Wake On LAN" is not a feature supported by this type of connection.

In your case, the printer connected to your MAC is "shared" which means other devices on your network can find the D420 and print to it when your MAC is on, but not when its sleeping or off.  

There is only one true solution.  Buy a network capable printer.  One that has wireless or Ethernet connection.  This will take your MAC out of the equation and allow devices to print regardless of whats present, turned on, off, etc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements