cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication Error 306

astriferus
Apprentice

Hello, I've just recently started having an issue with my printer. I used it last week and it was fine but I've been trying to get it to print for two days and cannot figure out whats wrong.

I have a Pixma MG6600, connected via wifi to a Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9

everytime I try to print, it says printing and a paper will run through the printer but it comes out blank. Then my queue says communication error and gives me a 306 code.

I tried reconnecting the printer, I deleted it and reinstalled everything not 10 minutes ago and it's still giving me this error. I can't print via USB because my laptop doesn't have a battery so I can't move it. I tried printing via google cloud and nothing happened there either.

Not sure what else I can do, any help would be greatly appreciated 

9 REPLIES 9

merrymary247
Rising Star
How far is the printer from the router? You might want to print a LAN details page to make sure there's adequate signal strength (70% or higher is preferable for consistency), that the printer is connected to the same network as the computer and that it has a valid ipv4 ip address. http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1011&PARTITION_ID=1&secu...

also, when you re-added the printer, did you select the Bonjour version or the Canon IJ Network version?

I have the same issue with my new Pixma MG7700. It worked well for about 1 week. But over the past two days we have not been able to print to it.  The message from my Macbook (with latest El Capitan v 10.11.4) is Error Code 306. The router is a Buffalo Air Station Pro (about 1 year old) which sits about 15 feet from my Canon Pixma, which is 18 inches from my Macbook - all of in relatively close proximity.  After multiple times of powering printer off/on, pausing and resuming queue, and getting the "connecting to the printer" I get a variety of error messages with the error code 306 (for this same job):  "printer in use" appeared for hours (trying to pause/resume which reconnects the printer many times) which it clearly is NOT. Sometimes the printer "prints" a blank page after this, while the job sits in the queue, and then the Error Code 306 appears.   I should also add that sometimes the job says "connected to the printer" and then the printer makes some noise, and the Pixma touch screen says "printing...." and then poof - the screen goes back to the standby mode, a blank page is printed and the status of my print job says Error Code 306. "Unable to add document to the print job" This is a 1 page text page from Ical (Mac Calendar). 

I do not know how to check the LAN status of anything - would appreciate any help you might offer.  By the way, I previously had a 4 year old HP wireless printer which never had this problem. I don't understand how new technology can be worse than the "old" (with the same router and Macbook).

Thanks for any suggestions!

"The router is a Buffalo Air Station Pro (about 1 year old) which sits about 15 feet from my Canon Pixma, which is 18 inches from my Macbook  ...  I do not know how to check the LAN status of anything - would appreciate any help you might offer." 

Why don't you just simply run a LAN cable to it, instead of trying to go wireless if it is that close by?  It seems a lot of existing applications have been having issues with El Capitan.  Ditto for Microsoft. 

Both Apple and Microsoft have made security changes in their latest Operating Systems. Canon is not the only major vendor seeing issues. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your suggestion and observations.  I cannot run a wire to the router given location of the components - that would solve a lot of problems!  I actually got the printer to work today for a couple hours by rebooting my router.  Then it started doing it's usual Error Code 306. 

I have the same problem over and over again. Wireless doesn't work at all, so I have connected my laptop to my printer with a LAN cable, but the problem persist. Now I have reached the stage where EVERY TIME I try to print, even one single page, I have to re-install the printer SEVERAL TIMES before it goes. And then I have to redo it EVERY FEW PAGES, because it won't run longer than a few pages before the probem pops up again. It is very frustrating, particularly because my printer PIXMA IP 110 is brand new (bought it a few monts ago). Can you help please?

Super frustrating for you!!  My Pixma has been working fairly flawlessly since I last posted this problem - and what seemed to work was rebooting my wireless router, not the printer. I don't know why that made a difference, but we haven't had problems since then.  Good luck!

susanyoz
Apprentice

Same problem, can't print at all.   Shoots out a blank page, then gives me 306 error code.  Who's to blame here - Apple or Canon?  How do we get this fixed?

Be patient, reboot your router, and reboot your computer.  I continue to have the problem from time to time, and it also seems to be tied to the attempt to print a chart or a "complex" document (photos and text in same document). My guess, which is not scientific or confirmed in any way, is that the processor in the Pixma is too weak or simple to handle normal document printing which was handled flawlessly by my "old" HP printer. I think it's a Canon problem since I had no issues with my now-recycled HP printer. In the market for a new printer now with greater processing power and a reliable connection history. 

lko
Apprentice

I'm having this problem too and the printer is hooked up to the computer. Really hate this printer. 

Announcements