cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon printer won't connect to 802.1X network ...

RedSoxx
Apprentice

All,

Anyone have experience connecting a Canon printer to a WiFi network that uses IEEE 802.1X authentication? Sometimes this is called "WPA2-Enterprise". My specific printer (iR MF745Cdw) has settings for 802.1X as you can see in the user manual: https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-3551-zz-SSM-740-enGB/contents/devu-mcn_mng-nw_sec-ieee.html#0818_h1_0..., But I can't seem to find a way to indidate that I want to use those settings when I configure my WiFi connection. It doesn't seem to try them automatically and the only options available are None/WEP/WPA2. 

Could really use some help.

RedSoxx

7 REPLIES 7

Porcha
Rising Star

Hi, 

While our Forum Community members are welcome to chime in, Canon does not provide direct support for imageRUNNER series products, but your dealer will be able to help you!

Funny.

Sorry ... imageCLASS, not imageRUNNER. This is our model: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/color-laser/color-imagecl....

The dealer was at a total loss and suggested I contact Canon to see if this feature was actually implemented properly.

RedSoxx

@RedSoxx wrote:

Funny.

Sorry ... imageCLASS, not imageRUNNER. This is our model: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/color-laser/color-imagecl....

The dealer was at a total loss and suggested I contact Canon to see if this feature was actually implemented properly.

RedSoxx

Greetings,

I don't see where Canon states EAP or RADIUS based authentication is supported on the 745Cdw.

Wi-Fi Infrastructure Mode: WEP 64/128 bit, WPA-PSK (TKIP/AES) WPA2-PSK (AES)
Wi-Fi Access Point: WPA2-PSK (AES)

So not sure if implemented properly applies in this case.  I think that contacting Canon Support directly is best in this case.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Sir-

It just seems odd for Canon to take the time to develop and implement an entire 802.1X authenticaion settings page in the firmware ... and then not play through and completely implement the feature for customers to use. if that is what's happening here, at least do us a favor and print a warning on the page that indicates this is an 'alpha feature' which may be implemented fully in the future (etc.) 

I'm still searching for someone at Canon Support that can help me. Talked to two blokes locally already who had zero experience with the feature and were not sure what to advise. Welcome any pointers if you know how to get a hold of someone more competent ...

Cheers-

Greetings,

I have several clients who use RADIUS but all of their printers are connected via ethernet. 

While Canon does have highly knowledgeable staff, most are probably expert in a "generalist' category.

You need someone with more granular understanding of 802.1x.  Also, if the feature is not supported, no one is likely been trained on it.  Wish I could offer more.  Sorry.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

No worries-

I spent some time with our network hardware provider (Cisco Meraki) and they noted close to zero success getting any brand of mid-size printer to use 802.1X authenticaiton with WiFi. Their advice: create a separate WiFi cloud with WPA2-PSK authenticaiton and join all the printers to that domain. Then, create rules to forward printing traffic from the more secure WiFi cloud to the WPA2-PSK cloud. It's not an elegant solution but should work.

<sigh>

Red

Agreed.

Other option (as you stated)

Create separate vLAN

Create separate network with its own SSID and Security (WPA2-PSK).  Allow devices on this vLAN access to the other, as you mentioned. 

That will work. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements