cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon imageCLASS MF632Cdw connected to network but not recognized

theohster
Apprentice

I am having a new and somewhat strange problem with my printer. It is connected to my network -- it has an IPv4 address (192.168.1.5 when connected via WLAN, 192.168.1.20 when connected by Ethernet). The printer's display shows that it is connected to my network. However, it does not appear on my network. For example, neither my laptop nor my iPhone can "see" the printer, and when I log into my router it does not appear as an attached device. Printing does not work...unless I connect it to my laptop with a USB cord.

However, and this is where it gets strange, I am able to use Google Cloud Print with it. So the printer appears to be connected to the internet, even though it seems to be invisible to my local network.

I attempted a factory reset, but that did not solve the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jackeep
Apprentice

The only thing that worked after trying some of these suggestions was to delete the printer from my preferences and then add it back: 

>SYSTEM PREFERENCES

>printers and scanners

>Highlight "CANON"

> Hit the (-) button on the left corner

Then hit the (+) button to reinstall Canon

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

Huge thanks for sharing, bborcherding. I have no problems with a static IP for the printer if that will get the blasted thing to work reliably. Frankly, it’s a very nice printer when the software works. Again, huge thanks.

So I found what I hope is a more elegant solution (even the fixed IP address on the printer has given my family fits). Tonight I changed the printer back to dynamic IP address and let it pick up a new address from my Eero network. I then went into my Eero application and applied a reservation on the IP address that the printer picked up. Now I just use the + on system preferences, it finds the printer (and scanner!) and it works seamlessly. I've deleted and re-added the printer on all my Apple devices and receive much less s**t from my family now. 😉

That is what I am trying. Thanks. 

pizmogames
Apprentice

I had this problem for 2 months on Mac OS 10.15.3. and ImageClass LBP612Cdw, with the latest printer driver and updated printer firmware.

The printer was fine sometimes, other times it could not be found.

Deleting it from the list of printers did not help -- when I went to add it again it wasn't found. Wireless Network Status was OK, so it was connected to WIFI.

This finally worked for me:

Menu : Preferences : Network : Wireless LAN Settings : Power Save Mode: OFF

It hasn't given me trouble since.

Mitchelson
Apprentice

I have the same maddening problem.  Over and over again I have to turn off the printer, delete the printer from my iMacs, restart both add the printer back just to print a document.  I can't figure out whether something happens to the printer when it sleeps, whether I need to try to figure out how to give it a static IP address on the system or what.

bborcherding
Contributor

@Mitchelson, I'm afraid it seems you'll have to live with this maddeningly enough. I know the root case of the issue is the changing IP addresses, but even solving this with a static address on the printer and/or assigning an IP address from the router doesn't seem to be a permanent fix and Canon doesn't seem to care to resolve with a software update. I've gotten so frustrated that I bought an HP inkjet for my family to use so that I stopped taking grief every time they could no longer print. 

apple39784
Apprentice

After I updated the firmware on the Canon MF632Cdw AND removed the LAN connection to it, the struggle with this lost IP addr issue at my house finally abated.  This is a tricky problem because of the interplay among the printer firmware, device drivers on the different computers and mobiles, the IP assignment and lease renewal rules on the router (for DHCP), how each device is configured to handle IP at power save/sleep/shutdown, and how each software prioritizes LAN configs.   When I removed the LAN connection from my printer, I believe it simplified the rules the firmware follows to re-establish its wireless network, and resulted in a more responsive printer.

bborcherding
Contributor

Anyone interested in a lightly used MF743C printer with intermittent network connection issues? Paper and ink included!! 😉  

I used your eero reservation solution and it’s works with one exception.  The printer will still go to sleep and then cannot be found by my iPhone unless I go wake it up. Is there a solution for this?

cypress
Apprentice

In Network Settings on the printer I turned on IPV4 and IPV6 with DHCP set to auto and IP acquire to auto. I also enabled direct connection but not thinking that was part of the solution. Worked instantly.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements