cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon imageCLASS MF632Cdw connected to network but not recognized

theohster
Apprentice

I am having a new and somewhat strange problem with my printer. It is connected to my network -- it has an IPv4 address (192.168.1.5 when connected via WLAN, 192.168.1.20 when connected by Ethernet). The printer's display shows that it is connected to my network. However, it does not appear on my network. For example, neither my laptop nor my iPhone can "see" the printer, and when I log into my router it does not appear as an attached device. Printing does not work...unless I connect it to my laptop with a USB cord.

However, and this is where it gets strange, I am able to use Google Cloud Print with it. So the printer appears to be connected to the internet, even though it seems to be invisible to my local network.

I attempted a factory reset, but that did not solve the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jackeep
Apprentice

The only thing that worked after trying some of these suggestions was to delete the printer from my preferences and then add it back: 

>SYSTEM PREFERENCES

>printers and scanners

>Highlight "CANON"

> Hit the (-) button on the left corner

Then hit the (+) button to reinstall Canon

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

Wowmike69
Apprentice

We’re u able to find a fix for the issue you were having on your canon. I’m have the same problem.

Hi Wowmike69.

I will be glad to assist you. However, I need to ask a few questions to best assist you.

1. Are you using a dual band router?

2. Which version of Windows or macOS is installed on your computer?

3. What is the IPv4 IP Address of the printer?

I look forward to your reply.

If you need immediate assistance, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays). 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Patrice
Whiz

Hi theohster.

I will be glad to assist you. However, I need to ask a few questions to best assist you.

1. Are you using a dual band router?

2. Which version of Windows or macOS is installed on your laptop?

3. Are you using the Canon Print Business app on your iPhone, or Apple AirPrint?

I look forward to your reply.

If you need immediate assistance, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays). 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

innatemama
Apprentice

I also have this issue. Did you ever get it resolved and if so, how?

scuba
Apprentice

Simiiar issue: can't see the printer!

Background Information:

Mac OS 10.14.2 mojave.  Yes I have the lastest Driver installed

Same printer MF642Cdw  only on WIFI,  no hardwire connection

All the other household MAC's can see the printer and print!

Yes I've re-started the printer several times

The Router is dual 2.4 and 5 ghz

the router see's the printer and assigned a IP address.  Same as the IP address on the printer.

I can logon to the printer from a brower.  All looks good.

My computer (the one in question) is on the same WIFI network.

When I try to add the printer, with systems perference,  it does not show up.

Before I upgraded to 10.14.2 I was able to use the printer.  Now nothing.

All the other MAC are 10.14.1 OS

I've also added another Canon Printer MP560 series without any issues.

Your Thoughts!!!

Solved the problem!!

MAC will not "see" the printers if the firewall is turned on.

Go to SYSTEM PERFERENCE, Security and Privacy, Firewall, OFF

RE-start the computer, Go to System perfernence, printer&scanners, click the lower left "+", wait a few minutes and your network WIFI printers will come up, complete the installation of the drivers etc and your done!

Good Luck

If you have to turn off ANY computer's firewall to get it to see the printer, the software developers for the device are brain-dead for asking customers to turn off one of the MOST important security features available. I repeat, that would be brain-dead of them to do so. (Not that it doesn't happen. I've had DSL modems that wouldn't let me do FTP transfers w/o taking my firewall down!!!! Threw that one in the trash!!!!)

For what it's worth, I did the initial configuration of my MF644Cdw printer with a Mac and was able to print with it, no problemo, all while my firewall was running. So it WILL print with the firewall up & running.

Still, I encountered this issue a week later and verified that I could see the printer's IP address on the LAN. But still, my Mac could not find the printer. Solution: System Preferences>Printers & Scanners>selected the "Canon MF642C/643C..." in the left hand pane, clicked the "-", then clicked the "+" and selected the Canon driver for it. After that it found the printer with no problem.

Technically, this is not a fix but rather a workaround. Will have to see how often this reoccurs. If it happens again, I'll see if this is a problem in Windows as well.

Re: Image class 644cdw. This printer has given me a headache since the day I purchased it. It intermittently puts itself offline and won't print. 2 weeks ago I waited for 2 hours to speak to a customer Service rep and we did a factory reset. The printer stored the correct IP address during the call. Since the call with the Rep. 2 weeks ago I have done a factory reset 3 times. The
latest reset today. Now not even a factory reset will force it to remember the correct IP address. So it's essential an expensive piece of junk. Any other suggestions before it gets returned?

Well I'm sure this will change as soon as I hit the "Post" button but since my first post, have not had any problems with the printer. Fingers crossed that it stays up on the network going forward.

Announcements