cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MG7150 - WiIFI connection problems

bendini2007
Apprentice

Hi there I have just bought one of these, returned it due to WIFI problems ordered another one and am having the same problems.

Initially I set the first printer up OK and It found my network. I managed to successfully print from 2 different laptops and via the PIXMA app on various Apple IOS devices. After a day or so, possibly after going into sleep mode in its ECO settings it seemed to lose connection and I was unable to re-connect. I got 2 different error messages depending on how I tried to establish connection. Firstly -" ERROR Cannot change the setting. If the device is in use via the LAN, finish it and then change the setting". Secondly, "ERROR 6910 - 1) Cancel printing, then turn the device off. 2)Turn on. If problem still persists contact the sevice center" My daughter had run out of photo paper and I thought the printer may have been trying to spool a document but the virtual cancel button was not lit. Turning off and back on didn't help and I kept getting one or other error message. The Canon UK service center were unable to help and suggested I send the printer to their third party repairer or take it back to the retailer. I did the latter and they managed to connect it to their wifi and wirelessley to my router which I took into store on the second visit. I uninstalled the app on all Apple devices and all software from one of the laptops before powering up. I initally still had wifi connection back home but as the printer prepared for printing about the third document it came up with an ERROR 6000 and aborted. There was a cancel button in the printer dialogue box on the laptop which I clicked and it closed down but afterwards I was back to square one with one or other of the two error messages above appearing when I tried to re-establish wifi connection. 

At this point I gave up and took the printer back for a refund. I ordered another but this time during the initial set up I got the first of the above error messages even though the only thing that had been printed was the test pattern whilst the printer head was aligning. I have been unable to get a wifi connection at al with this printer. Even powering off for a long while and trying to find WIFI with the router off won't clear the error messages. Have I received two different faulty printers or am I doing something wrong. All laptops, Apple IOS devices my SKY tv box. Nintendo WII and my existing Canon MP600R printer work fine on my network through my "EE Brightbox" router. Please help? I am at a loss!!!

4 REPLIES 4

bendini2007
Apprentice

Hi Just an update. I think I have got to the bottom of the problem. The first printer behaved normally when taken back to the retailer so I suspected some sort of intereference with the wifi signal at home. Accordingly, I took the printer out to my summer house at the end of the garden together with the router and tried pairing them. Out there I had no problem. I then took the router back into the house connected it back up including the broadband side. The printer was sensitive enough to make a connection still even though it was at the end of the garden. I even installed the Canon Pixma app on my iphone and printed a photo with the phone in the bedroom, the router downstairs and the printer in the summer house!!

However, as soon as I put the printer in the normal place, close to the router in my understairs cupboard I was getting error messages and back to square one. With the printer in the kitchen a little further away from the router the problem was intermittent. I concluded that there must be some other electrical item causing intereference with the printer. The printer was fine situated in my office about 30 feet from the orginal position. I tried disconnecting my cordless phones, micro-wave oven, modem for my dial up work hand held computers, the work handsets and the transformers all to no avail. I eventually concluded the only thing not disconnected and in proximity was the control unit for my burglar alarm which uses a form of wifi to communicate with the various PIR & other sensors. I am taking advice from the engineer that supplied it but now I have consistent connection between the printer and my network albeit not with the printer located where I want it!!

Finally - found someone with the exact same error!! I too have been through the same process, including troubleshooting with Canon, then eventually returning the printer to the supplier for a replacement. New printer has just arrived, and I'm getting the same issues.
Interestingly, my wireless AP is in the same room as the printer. I've not tried isolating other electrical items as yet, but will do shortly.
If it is the AP that is causing the issue (perhaps signal is too strong for the printer), then Canon really ought to sort this out, as I've never known any WiFi enabled device to be so sensitive!
Moving the AP isn't really going to be a viable option, so the printer will have to be returned for a refund.

Hi It is interesting what you say. The alarm engineer said that the frequency used couldn't be altered and should NOT cause interference. Perhaps you are right that the problem is proximity to the router (wireless access point) and that it is too sensitive? It is ironic if this is the case because my previous Canon wireless printer an MP600R would ONLY work if very close to the router/ wireless AP! Let me know if disconnecting electrical items sorts your problem out or if you think it is a proximity issue. If somebody from Canon could chip in some advice that would be helpful as well. Thanks

Hi bendini2007!

Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thank you for your inquiry!

We appreciate your participation, however your product is a model that is not supported by our team here at Canon USA.

The Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, please click here and select your country or region for your direct support needs.

Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements