cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to google cloud print

thatch
Apprentice

We recently bought a MF8580cdw and installed it wireless, very easy.  Scanner works great.  We are mostly Mac but I want to use my Chrome book to print.  When I try to enable Google print in the remote UI and hit Register I get message "Failed to acquire information for registration".  I see in the enable area Install CA Certificate.  When I check CA certificates there appears to be 5 pre installed.  I have checked the e-manual and don't find this error listed.  Checked on line and didn't seem to get a good hit.  

Update 24 hrs later.  I Found that the SSL connection check box was not checked.  After checking this the printer registered fine and it is now printing from my Chrome Book.  I did not see any reference to make sure that SSL was enabled.  sSmple fix but hard to find.

30 REPLIES 30

Thanks for the pointer to the CA certs!

Which certificates did you have to import to make it work in the end?

This is what I have now:

C=BE, O=GlobalSign nv-sa, OU=Root CA, CN=GlobalSign Root CAC=BE, O=GlobalSign nv-sa, OU=Root CA, CN=GlobalSign Root CA28/01 2028 14:00:00
OU=GlobalSign Root CA - R3, O=GlobalSign, CN=GlobalSignOU=GlobalSign Root CA - R3, O=GlobalSign, CN=GlobalSign18/03 2029 12:00:00
OU=GlobalSign Root CA - R2, O=GlobalSign, CN=GlobalSignOU=GlobalSign Root CA - R2, O=GlobalSign, CN=GlobalSign15/12 2021 10:00:00

The certificate chain for google.com is

Certificate chain
 0 s:/C=US/ST=California/L=Mountain View/O=Google Inc/CN=*.google.com
   i:/C=US/O=Google Trust Services/CN=Google Internet Authority G3
 1 s:/C=US/O=Google Trust Services/CN=Google Internet Authority G3
   i:/OU=GlobalSign Root CA - R2/O=GlobalSign/CN=GlobalSign

so I assume only the R2 one is needed, but I still get the "Failed to acquire information for registration." error.

Ok, got it to work by disabling IPv6. Thanks again!

My understanding was that the R2 was the only one needed as well. But I honestly can't remember which one did the trick. I went ahead and installed all of them thinking it coudn't hurt. 🙂

Glad it was helpful to someone else.

Thank you JettCA11.

I have Canon MF8200C Series printer. Model is Canon imageCLASS MF8280Cw

I updated the firmware, it did not work

This has been frustrating problem I had from Jan of this year.

The errors I saw on the remote UI were:

"Failed to acquire information for registration"

"Could not perform server authentication"

Installing the certificate (Global Sign R2) allowed the registration and cloud print is working now.

Please note that I tried to export the cer file from internet explorer and firefox and it did not work. I had to extract the cer file from MAC and upload it.

Yes, you are right, It only worked when I uploaded and registered the GlobalSign Root CA - R2 certificate.

R3 and the plain Root CA did not work but I left them there anyway.

This is the only current solution to this problem based on my research online.

Thanks a ton.

This solution worked perfectly for me. Apparently, Google has changed the CA they use, and you need to update the CA certs. I use Windows, so I used the Cert Mgr. Had to export all 3 Global Sign certs, using the defaults, then import and register them with your printer. Once that's done, restart the printer, and re-register Google Cloud Print. Works fine. Thank you!!

The Global Sign R2 worked for me also and I don't understand why Canon has not provided the public file for this Certificate. I went to Global Sign R2 and saw that Google owns that cert now. Went to Google Trust Services and downloaded the GS Root R2 (DER) then I needed to convert it to a .cer file from .crt file using directions from here.

Here is .cer file for Global Sign R2.

With the .cer file you need to Login to your printer Remote UI by going to the Printer IP address on your network. If you haven't set the password you just hit enter after clicking System Manager Mode.

Click - Settings Registration then Security Settings

Click - CA Certificate Settings

Click - Register CA Certificate

Browse to the .cer you saved and install and register.

Then make sure Google Cloud Print is on under Network Settings in the System Management Settings and Restart the printer. I hope this helps.

If Canon monitors this forum you may want to give your service reps this file. I spent half a day with a very nice support rep about 2 months ago and ended up using the CUPS print option for my Chromebooks. Finally I followed the advice of this thread and have Google Print working.

I just got this working a few minutes ago after fiddling on and off for days.

A combination of hints from above helped, so rather than spelling them out, here they are generally

• Install CA certs from keychain (mac)

• Assign default key (security settings)

• IMHO the big one was in Cloud Print settings turning off verifying the server certificate long enough to be presented with the URL so that I could register the printer (then I turned the verify server certificate back on.  If that causes an issue down the road I'll turn it back off) - if I didn't do this, the url never appeared.  Without the URL there is no registering the printer.

One other note for everyone who is trying to update firmware - my printer, and other newish ones (I have an 8280cw) can either get a firmware update from a mac/pc OR directly via the internet, which is handy if you're trying to make this thing go without usb.

If you are trying to update firmware via usb, don't forget to put the printer into firmware update mode via the menus or it won't show up in the updater.

I found the solution to be much simpler- I just updated my firmware, which I had never done before, and tried to re-register, and it worked. Updating the firmware can be done through the system settings right on the printer. I have a feeling that updating the firmware updated the certificates. 

Thank you for the update, but I keep receiving prompts for a Key Name and Password using the method that you described.

Announcements