cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect MX492 to Netgear AC1750 Router

Veryannoyed
Apprentice

When I tried to connect my printer to my new Netgear AC1750 router, It asks me to press the WPS button on the router. There is no WPS button on the router. 

Someone told me to press STOP and try Wireless Lan setup and standard setup. It found my router, but then asked for a "passphrase." What is a "passPHRASE?" Is that the same thing as a "PassWORD??" I tried putting in the password of my router, however, it would only accept 4 characters, and my password is longer than that.

I am getting very annoyed. I went online to the "manuals" and they are all gobbledygook. 

Surely Canon can do better than this.

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Wireless 101...

The password to login and acess your router's configuration is not the same as the passphrase used to help secure a wireless network. 

Your router is dual band, meaning it is capable of broadcasting 2 separate wireless networks.  2.4 GHz and 5Ghz.  The passphrase (if set) is a security measure.

Your printer only has a 2.4Ghz radio, and thus, will only connect to a 2.4Ghz wireless broadcast.  If you don't know the passphrase configured for the network, you can see it by logging into the router's configuration.  AC1750....  that means your router is likely an R6400.

You can log into the router using a web browser.  The address will be one of the following.... It's your responsibility to know which.  I can't tell you.

www.routerlogin.net

If you don't know, you can use a command prompt and type ipconfig /all  The gateway IP listed in the output will be the IP of the router.

Example below:  Mine is an example

C:\Users\name is removed>ipconfig /all

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : 
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.128.245(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 9, 2018 9:05:39 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, February 10, 2018 9:05:39 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.128.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.128.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Start here and let me know how far you get.  I'll help you if you need further assistance.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you. I found out my router does in fact have the WPS button (it was hard to find as was not labeled) and I was able to proceed that way. 

But I'm sure your advice will be helpful to others.

Glad if it got you looking at the router more closely.  I have an R7000 myself.  If I recall, the WPS button is on the back near the reset button. I never use it so haven't paid attention. 

In any event, I'm glad your connected and printing.  

Cheers

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements