cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Connect Scanner to Mac

katshe77
Apprentice

I have a new mac laptop (first mac). My printer/scanner is a Canon MX452. The printer shows up in my list of printers in System Preferences "Printer & Scanners" and I can print from my Mac to the printer. I've got the printer set up and working. However, the same device is also a scanner, but it does not list itself as one there and gives no scan option. 

I downloaded the scan driver from the Canon website, and I have "Canon IJ Scan Utility" in my applications. I can open that, but when I try to scan it says Scanner is turned off or USB cable is disconnected. My scanner is on, but I don't have the computer attached to it with a cable. I want to wirelessly scan (just like I can print).

On my scanner when I try to go to settings to detect this Mac it does not see it and offer it as an option. 

Is there a way I can get the wireless scanning set up? Any ideas? Or must I hook up with a cable (which I would have to buy an adaptor for etc.)? 

(FYI the wireless scanning does work for my PC.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Caemene
Rising Star

Hi katshe77,

To troubleshoot the scanning issues on your Mac, please perform the followingt troubleshooting steps:

1. Open the Mac program Image Capture.
  2. In the upper left corner locate the catagories: Device & Shared.
  3. One of the catagories should have a number other than 0 (zero) next to it, click on the number.
  4. If it display's the MX450 the Computer does see the scanner wirelessly.
  5. If it does not, the computer does not see the scanner wireless.
  6. Close Image Capture.

If Image Capture listed the MX450 in the upper left corner, perform the following steps:

1. Open the Canon IJ Scan Utility.
  2. Locate Product Name towards the top of the window on the right.
  3. Make sure it says MX450 series Network, if it does not adjust the drop-down box.
  4. Click on SETTINGS in the lower right corner.
  5. Click on the TOOLS icon in the upper left corner.
  6. Click on SELECT to the right of the Product Name.
  7. The IJ NETWORK SCANNER SELECTOR EX window opens.
  8. Confirm/Select the MX450 series printer is selected and ensure Do Not Use is not selected.
  9. Click on SCAN-FROM-OPERATION-PANEL SETTINGS at the bottom of the window.
  10. Confirm/Select the MX450 series printer is selected on the list.
  11. Press OK to close the following windows:
    • Scan-From-Operation-Panel
    • Settings
  12. Perform test scan.

If Image Capture does not list the MX450 in the upper left corner, perform the following steps:

There is an additional driver that can be downloaded from the Canon website that will assist with the communication between the scanner and the computer. 

1. Click HERE to go to the Canon website for the MX452 Drivers & Downloads. 
  2. Below the Drivers & Downloads section and next to OPERATING SYSTEM, you should see your operating system detected.
  3. If you are running macOS Mojave v10.14 adjust it to macOS High Sierra v10.13
  4. A little further below and to the right, click on the SELECT button next to the file titled "ICA Driver Ver. 4.0.0a (Mac)"
  5. Click on the red DOWNLOAD button.
  6. If you are asked if you want to save the file, do so.
  7. Close the web browser, and go to your Downloads folder.
  8. Double click on the file name "misd-mac-ijscanner5-4_0_0-ea19_2.dmg."
  9. In the window that opens, double-click on the icon that looks like an open box with a yellow package inside.
  10. A welcome screen will appear.
  11. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the software on your computer.
  12. Restart the computer.
  13. Perform a test scan.

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37

tamraymond118
Apprentice

Scan icon is disabled in the "Guide Menu" of My Garden Image. I am using this software in MAC. Can you advise how this can be resolved?

dalymj
Contributor
My Pixma’s wireless scanning ability did not survive Apple’s Catalina upgrade. The work-around I use is Finder—>Applications—>Image Capture.app—> select scanner on left side

I can get Image Capture which has my scanner under Devices, then I select 'Scan' and get the message "Warming Up" then "Scanning document "Scan1" but it still does not scan. The wheel next to the scanner MG2550S goes round (to tell you scanning is in progress) - not sure how long it would go on for, probably all day - I only let it run for 15 minutes then got bored.

EDC2
Apprentice

For me, the following worked:

I had the same issue with a Pixma TS8320.  I could print, and the scanner showed up in the list of devices, but my iMac running 10.15.7 couldn't "find" the scanner.  I went drivers/downloads page and clicked on "software."  https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/ts-s...

I downloaded "IJ Network Device Setup Utility Ver.1.5.0 (Mac)" then restarted my iMac.  It's working as it should.

FWIW, I'm using Wireless Direct, not going through my home wifi network.

Good luck!

mathreya
Apprentice

I have the same issue. Last week I purchased PIXMA TR4520 printer. I can print to it and see it as a printer on my mac (OS Mohave 10.14) but cannot scan.

I downloaded the scan utility  "Canon IJ Scan Utility".  I can open that, but when I try to scan it says Scanner is turned off or USB cable is disconnected. My scanner is on, but I don't have the computer attached to it with a cable. I want to wirelessly scan.

On my scanner when I try to go to settings to detect this Mac ,it does not show my mac as an option. 

Is there a way I can get the wireless scanning set up? Any ideas?

I tried the steps suggested here for the canon MX 452, but I do not find the new driver suggested on the drivers & downloads page (on canon support website)

can someone please let me know if there is a work around for the TR4520 printer. Thanks.

Hi mathreya,

Please follow the steps provided in the link below:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART172414

Once disabled, please attempt to scan.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for the solution. I was unable to scan with the printer so I returned the printer.

dalymj
Contributor
Name of app? Presumably available in Apple App Store .
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements