cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG6450 Another computer is using the printer

Yatesy1990
Apprentice

Up to now we've printed ok but yesterday our Windows 8 laptops report that "Another computer is using the prnter". We have a Canon MG6450 printer; ona  wireless network. We have rebooted our laptops; the router; and switched off printer but to no avail. Any other suggestions ?

Another computer is using the printer.
The following status is the usage status of that computer.
---
Creating print data

A follow up query is why is there a need to register is the need to send email docs to [Email address removed in accordance with forum guidelines] to get printed ? It is both time consuming, over elaborate and completely unnecessary to use a "Print from E-mail" service and " to complete the printer owner registration".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DaBoss
Apprentice

I solved my problem on the MG5520 using Windows 8.1 stuck with the "used by another computer" error!

I noticed in my settings (computer settings - devices - printers)  that there are two Canon printers listed - make sure you DO NOT select the printer that ends in "WS" when trying to print a document. EX:  "Canon MG5500 series printer" vs "Canon MG5500 series printer WS".

If you have any print jobs pending in that queue for that printer ending with "WS", then you will need to cancel all pending print jobs under the "WS" labeled printer before it will allow any other print job to be performed.

Next, when you go to print a document, make sure you select the correct printer (without "WS" at the end).

This cleared up the "being used by another computer" error, and I didn't have to uninstall or reinstall any drivers or disable any wireless settings or use a USB cable!

I was so happy that I even took the stupid half hour to register an account with Canon so I could share my solution to this annoying problem. And now I know that I should inform my wife to not print anything on the wrong printer queue anymore!

I hope this saves someone from the frustration I felt.

Here is a more discriptive walkthrough for technologically challenged individuals:

*This first part s not actually necessary - it is just to show you that there are two DIFFERENT print queues

Step 1:

Get into your PC settings menu. If you don't know how to get there, then go to your Apps screen and use the Search feature by typing in "settings". The first thing to pop up should be PC Settings (click on that).

Next, you have to select "PC and Devices" to the left of the screen

Then you want to select "Devices" to the let of the screen

There you will see a list of devices installed on your computer, and you should see two Canon printers (one ending in WS). EX:  "Canon MG5500 series printer" vs "Canon MG5500 series printer WS"

Step 2:

Log into each user profile on your computer and check the print queues to see who is trying to print on the "WS" printer queue.

You can see the print queue  by clicking on the little triangle in the bottom right of your screen, then clicking on the little printer icon.

If there are pending print jobs, cancel ALL of them for each user account on your computer.

Step 3:

Once all print queues are clear, try printing a document and be sure to select the printer WITHOUT "WS" at the end of the name and it should work!

Good luck!

View solution in original post

83 REPLIES 83

htranphoto
Apprentice

Solution for MX922 Series:

Make sure you cancel all pending printing jobs.

On the printer:

1. Press Menu

2. Choose Set Up

3. Choose Device Setting

4. Choose LAN Setting

5. Choose Other Settings

6. Choose WSD Setting

7. Choose Timeout Setting

8. Choose 10 minutes

That should solve your problems. Trust me, this drove me nuts for months. and you are welcome 🙂

WOW, THANK YOU!!

htranphoto,  Thanks for that. Solved my problem straight away. First time i have seen this error message.

I got down to the change timeout settings and it gives message "cannot change setting?"

chipd
Apprentice

Not sure if this is posted already but pretty simple fix!

1)Hold down the WINDOWS KEY on your keyboard and then tap the 'R' key
2)Type services.msc and then click OK
3)Scroll down the list until you see a service called 'Print Spooler'.
4)Right-click 'Print Spooler' and then choose 'Stop' by left-clicking it
5)Right-click 'Print Spooler' again and then choose 'Start' by left-clicking it

This is amazing! After months of intermittent grief, this solved my problem. Thank you!!!

It worked! Thanks!

butlert
Apprentice

When I try to print on my Canon MG5560 I keep getting the following message....

Another computer is using the printer.
The following status is the usage status of that computer.
---

DavidWBaker
Apprentice

This is a driver issue.

Need to go and delete the controle panel and delete all physical printers not being used including the canon.

No reinstall the printer. you may need to go to Canons web site and downlload and install the drivers to make it all work properly. Worked first time without any problems.

Good Luck,

David

lmeinecke1
Apprentice

If this answer is not already listed...

On Windows 8+, click Start with the right button and choose "Command Prompt (Admin)"

Type these 3 lines in, one at a time in the little black cmd window, and press Enter after each one (you can also right click in the little cmd window and paste all 3 with one click):

net stop spooler

del %systemroot%\System32\spool\printers\* /Q /F /S

net start spooler

This solution is from: https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-forcefully-clear-all-jobs-from-a-print-queue/

I get this once in a while on mine - the print job is in the queue but doesn't show up in the Windows dialog.

These command line instructions stop the print spooler, delete any hidden pending jobs, and restart the spooler..

Works every time for me anyway

You can put them in a batch file to save a few steps, too

--Lonny

Announcements