cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG6450 Another computer is using the printer

Yatesy1990
Apprentice

Up to now we've printed ok but yesterday our Windows 8 laptops report that "Another computer is using the prnter". We have a Canon MG6450 printer; ona  wireless network. We have rebooted our laptops; the router; and switched off printer but to no avail. Any other suggestions ?

Another computer is using the printer.
The following status is the usage status of that computer.
---
Creating print data

A follow up query is why is there a need to register is the need to send email docs to [Email address removed in accordance with forum guidelines] to get printed ? It is both time consuming, over elaborate and completely unnecessary to use a "Print from E-mail" service and " to complete the printer owner registration".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DaBoss
Apprentice

I solved my problem on the MG5520 using Windows 8.1 stuck with the "used by another computer" error!

I noticed in my settings (computer settings - devices - printers)  that there are two Canon printers listed - make sure you DO NOT select the printer that ends in "WS" when trying to print a document. EX:  "Canon MG5500 series printer" vs "Canon MG5500 series printer WS".

If you have any print jobs pending in that queue for that printer ending with "WS", then you will need to cancel all pending print jobs under the "WS" labeled printer before it will allow any other print job to be performed.

Next, when you go to print a document, make sure you select the correct printer (without "WS" at the end).

This cleared up the "being used by another computer" error, and I didn't have to uninstall or reinstall any drivers or disable any wireless settings or use a USB cable!

I was so happy that I even took the stupid half hour to register an account with Canon so I could share my solution to this annoying problem. And now I know that I should inform my wife to not print anything on the wrong printer queue anymore!

I hope this saves someone from the frustration I felt.

Here is a more discriptive walkthrough for technologically challenged individuals:

*This first part s not actually necessary - it is just to show you that there are two DIFFERENT print queues

Step 1:

Get into your PC settings menu. If you don't know how to get there, then go to your Apps screen and use the Search feature by typing in "settings". The first thing to pop up should be PC Settings (click on that).

Next, you have to select "PC and Devices" to the left of the screen

Then you want to select "Devices" to the let of the screen

There you will see a list of devices installed on your computer, and you should see two Canon printers (one ending in WS). EX:  "Canon MG5500 series printer" vs "Canon MG5500 series printer WS"

Step 2:

Log into each user profile on your computer and check the print queues to see who is trying to print on the "WS" printer queue.

You can see the print queue  by clicking on the little triangle in the bottom right of your screen, then clicking on the little printer icon.

If there are pending print jobs, cancel ALL of them for each user account on your computer.

Step 3:

Once all print queues are clear, try printing a document and be sure to select the printer WITHOUT "WS" at the end of the name and it should work!

Good luck!

View solution in original post

83 REPLIES 83

Hairetikos, I've given some additional information here about WSD services, and how this technology can be used with WSD printers.

I've posted it as many people seem to ignore this feature, and I find it to be pretty useful to use as it greatly simplifies the installation of a new printer: no installation required.

Additionally, reading your previous post, I understand that the original issue in this post is not solved by attempts to hack the WSD driver in Windows, it seems to affect both WSD and "legacy to be installed" drivers, as the root cause is certainl a bug in the printer firmware, not fixed by Canon. Hopefully, we can be turnaround it by a simple manipulation on the printer.

Hairetikos
Apprentice

MX922 having the same problem for months now.  Why doesn't Canon offer a solution?

We have eliminated all the WS duplicate printer devices from our computers.  Problem is highly inconsistent.  On some laptops, it will sometimes go right through.  Sometimes we need to turn off and restart printer.  Sometimes nothing works, but then we might find a printout a day or 2 later.

PGlad
Apprentice

I've looked through a numer of 'solutions' to this problem, on this website and also on Microsoft and other places, non have yet provided a definitive solution. Canon should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this issue to go unresolved for so long. I for one, will never be buying Canon again.

why is this still an issue... every other week I get this error.

takes an age to fix... never the same fix...

1Reticent
Apprentice

Open elevated cmd prompt (as administrator)

copy & paste as below

1 enter:      <net stop spooler>

2 enter:        <del %systemroot%\System32\spool\printers\* /Q>

3 enter         <net start spooler>

should work on all printers.

🙂

I tried this fix multiple times and it still gave me the "Another computer is using this printer." message.
I was really hoping that was the magic bullet.

I've tried several things but think I've come up with a consistant way to correct the problem. I say this because my solutions seems to always work.  What I do is Reboot the wifi and or routers appear to always work.  Now as far as a permanent solution I dont claim this to be. After rebooting, the printer will work without the "Another computer is using the printer" error for several hours or days but as of yet has not been the fix all.  Not sure what the issue is as it could be spotty wifi or internet but I'm guessing the internals of the print software sometimes doesn't always send and end of job message to the print service.   If this doesn't work for any of you, let us all know but I do know its solve the problem for me immediatly over several months and seems to last for awhile. 

Thanks  @1Reticent, that fixed it for me 🙂

(Couldn't see how to quote your reply)

CR68
Apprentice

I just had this occur recently, and it's 2018!!!  So,  first i tried changing the spooler setting which didnt work.  then reset the router which didnt work.  then reinstalled the dang printer which is a pixma and just a year old.  that didnt work.  then,  went ahead and put in new ink cartridges, and lo n behold the dang printer started printing stuff i'd wanted all darn morning!!

i have window 8.1,  but it also affected my other computer which has win 10.  this is no doubt a darn software problem with canon and they are not either fixing or letting people know how.  But,  the darn thing works now,  so try what i did.

remusG
Apprentice
CR68, Thanks for your response. I’ve replaced ink cartridges as well and had the printer work but it would happen again a few hours or days later.
I have another theory and think this might be the culpri. I print from my iPhone or iPad as well as laptop. Both are connected via Wi-Fi. The iPhone/iPad connect via 5g and the laptop via standard Wi-Fi. I think the issue happens when I print over 5g and the laptop tries to connect after that. To print I now connect to standard Wi-Fi to print and have not had any issues since doing that. Hope that helps.
Announcements