cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another computer is using the printer. iP7260 & iP 8760 have same message. Please help!!

GillD
Apprentice

2 days ago my iP7260 and ip8760 were working wirelessly. Now both printers send the message -

Another computer is using the printer.
The following status is the usage status of that computer.
---
Creating print data.

No matter what I do, it doesn't help. I switched off the iP8700 and the computer that usually uses it, still no good. In the end (after the usual switching off the modem, computer and printer), I was forced to use a USB cable to print with the iP7200. I got one print job out, but it now won't print CD labels. It was working fine yesterday. The iP8700 had this message 2 days ago, and hasn't worked since. I have noticed that this seems a very common problem, but I haven't found a fix for my 2 printers. One is only 3 weeks old! Please help!!

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

GillD
Apprentice

Sorry, I called the number but it is not connected - I am in Australia.

GillD
Apprentice

I got sloppy with the model numbers - they are iP8760 and iP7260 to be exact.

Oh. See if Canon Australia has a dial in or email help line. May be able to get help quicker that way.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I've just emailed Canon, but since this has been an intermittent problem since 2014, I don't hold out a lot of hope.

The detailed model is IP7260, which is the IP7200 range and driver. Canon has different numbers in different countries and sometimes different distribution channels within a country and to add to our misery, if you move country with your printer as I did and others have, you cant buy print tanks in your new country, you have to order them from the old country. I guess Canon hasnt heard about globalization and global manufacturing and supply yet. How big a percentage do you think they waste because of this disorganisation?

There seems to be only one printer driver IP7200 and I just tried to download it again, in case that actually fixed the bug, but no change, no printer that works.

I think Canon's commitment to customers is indicated by them not having any Canon person monitoring this forum with helpful solutions and feedback to Canon's customer management team. 

I think its time to consider the amount of money that I have spent on additional print tanks because I am not in the country where I purchased this as lost, and go for another brand. However, I will check that brand's forum out for issues and customer responsiveness.

BrightonBabe
Apprentice

Hi

It seems to have been reported on many Canon models since 2014, so its not operating system or driver led but they may be elements in the problem since Microsoft now updates the operating system without warning. I've tried to upgrade the driver, but I can't tell if anything happened. 

We also have it on the M range in our offices to the point where we stopped using wifi in an office which was 2 metres wide. 

I've even just sent test pages to my IP7260 and that's just sitting in the queue.

Our next printers will not be Canon's. What can others recommend?

Sorry I am adding to your misery.

I finally got a response from Canon. After I tried it but it didn't work, a more senior Canon personage stepped in. I was advise to completely uninstall the printers on both computers. Then I was to follow a link that he gave me (2 links for 2 different models of printers). The problem was resolved, and both printers now work wirelessly, and print jobs sent to them from my laptop or my tower PC. The links for Australian users are as follows -

For a Canon iP7200 series Printer Driver Ver. 1.01 (Windows 10/10 x64/8.1/8.1 x64/8/8 x64/7/7 x64/Vista/Vista64/XP)

http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0100454601.html

For a Canon iP8700 series Full Driver & Software Package (Windows 10/10 x64/8.1/8.1 x64/8/8 x64/7/7 x64/Vista/Vista64/XP)

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/7/0100005757/02/win-ip8700-1_1-mcd.exe

I hope that these links, plus the vitally important instruction to uninstall the existing program, reboot, then install one of the above links helps another Canon user. Hopefully this solution can be used by other Canon users in other countries.

Cheers, Gill   Smiley Happy

Printer had been working fine since purchase, then got all goofy the moment I tried to add my new laptop to the mix.  Had this exact issue as described above.  Downloaded and installed the new drivers from canon.com, boom, problem solved.  Pretty simple.

Announcements