cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF644Cdw Airprint name keeps changing

fcrwx
Apprentice

I have a MF644C and about every week or so the Airprint name changes. This prevents me from printing via my Macbook Pro until I delete and re-add the printer. Under "Settings/Registration: Preferences: Network Settings > AirPrint Settings" I originally set the Printer Name to "Canon MF644C", then it suddenly changed to "Canon MF644C (dd:ed:b5)" and most recently changed to "Canon MF644C (dd:ed:b5) (dd:ed:b5) (7)". I really don't care what the name is, but why does it keep changing?

53 REPLIES 53

I too have had this vexing issue for a while, and agree that it is most likely the router changing addresses... I use an AirPort Extreme.

I just permenently assigned the IP that the printer is currently using to always be there for it... that way, nothing else can be assigned to it.

I also, re-installed the printer using the Canon supplied drivers (instead of AirPrint).

All I can do now is wait and see if it drops it again... I'll let you all know!

Re-installing drivers and setting a fixed IP in the router don't cure it here. It always comes back and it's driving everyone here crazy.

What fixed it for me :

* use a static IP for the printer at the router level

* use the same static IP for the printer in the printer settings (for my MF743C it is Network Settings > IPv4 Settings > IP Address Settings > Auto Acquire > OFF and add IP address below).

Gave it another try after a few more months of recreating printer definitions. Installed the latest canon drivers, applied @feax suggestion...
No success, after two days my mDNS Name was changed to "Canon-MF643C (dc:09:2a) (11) (dc:09:2a) (2)" instaed of just "Canon-MF643C" which I entered

I've got this same issue. ASUS router.

I have reserved DNS names/IPs enabled but I've decided to turn OFF DHCP in the printer settings and set a fixed IP.

Still appends a hex triplet to the mDNS/Airprint name.

Tried everything. Fixed IP with disabled DHCP still doesn't work (hex data appended still after a while).

Also tried with and without IPv6, with and without DHCP, with and without reserved DHCP lease on router based on MAC address, etc... Still fails. Nothing prevents the name to be changed after some time.

I can't believe Canon still hasn't fixed this obvious bug.

I have the same problem.  It occurs whenever the printer is turned on/off and also when it loses network connection.  I have tried every fix in the forum and none works.  The only fix that works is to rename the printer (without the hex nonsense appended) in the AirPrint control panel in a browser.

Canon, please fix this!

Just giving an update following my post where I said I fixed that issue.

What I did :

* use a static IP for the printer at the router level. My router is a Netgate SG-5100. The static IP is outside of the DHCP range with a permanent ARP Table entry.

* use the same static IP for the printer in the printer settings (for my MF743C it is Network Settings > IPv4 Settings > IP Address Settings > Auto Acquire > OFF and add IP address below).

When I turn the printer on and off the printer's name doesn't change any more.

Since I made these changes 4 months ago the issue did not happen to me.

Hope that helps...

bujon
Apprentice
I tried this workaround with setting fixed IP address for the printer as described here. Unfortunately, after the printer is power cycled, the AirPrint name still gets changed. In fact, after every restart. Does not work for me

This is a strange bug. Since the beginning of June (my previous post) this problem occurred again exactly once. I can power cycle my printer without problems, but still, it is not completely fixed.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements