Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Airprint name keeps changing

I'm pretty sure the following is happening:

1. after some time, the printer gets a new IP address from the router (DHCP)
  2. the printer broadcasts itself on the network
  3. someone (my MacBook Pro?) replies that that Bonjour name is already taken by the old IP address, since I've previously added the printer to that device
  4. the printer changes it's Bonjour name

Step 3 is actually quite senible, I think. If you have multiple identical printers and they are not switched on at the same time, you still do not want them to have the same Bonjour name. So allowing my Mac to tell the printer that that generic name was previously seen so the 'new' printer better pick a new name is not that strange. At least I think this is what's causing this.

I'm pretty sure I've fixed this as follows:

1. in my router's admin interface I gave my printer a permanent static IP address
  2. restarted the printer and checked that my printer indeed now has that static address
  3. followed these instructions (https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART170068&cat=6225B022&actp=LIST#bonjour) to change back the bonjour name to something sensible (instructions were a bit outdated but I was able to find the 'airprint settings' page.
  4. removed the printer from my devices and added the 'new' printer

Hopefully, this was the final time I had to do that. So far, so good.

Highlighted
New Contributor

I tried this workaround with setting fixed IP address for the printer as described here. Unfortunately, after the printer is power cycled, the AirPrint name still gets changed. In fact, after every restart. Does not work for me
Highlighted
New Contributor

This is a strange bug. Since the beginning of June (my previous post) this problem occurred again exactly once. I can power cycle my printer without problems, but still, it is not completely fixed.

Highlighted
New Contributor

This affects me as well.

I have even tried to disable IPv4 mDNS completely and only keep IPv6 mDNS active. (I use both IPv4 and IPv6 on my LAN.)

Didn't help.

Also there is a fixed IP set on the router for this printer, so the IP has not really changed in the past two weeks. Still the printer tells me that "the IP address of this printer has changed" after some boots.

This is really an issue as I always have to return to the printer's web admin page to revert to the correct mDNS name, otherwise printing from my Mac doesn't work at all (unless I'd remove and re-add the printer, which is a PITA).

Canon, it is unclear how this could have passed the quality assurance process. I have even updated printer's firmware, still didn't help. Plese fix this ASAP.