cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4800 Series Printer - Wakes up every Hour

DLCPhoto
Contributor

I have had a 4800 series Canon printer for a number of years. It ordinarily 'sleeps' after 5 minutes, wakes for jobs when needed, no problems.

I recently replaced my Asus Router with a more robust Araknis Network and Switch.  The problem is that the printer now wakes from sleep every hour, around the clock, for no apparent reason.  Initially it was 1 minute after the hour, but now 2 minutes after the hour.  Like clock-work.

I have rechecked all relevant settings on the printer, and nothing seems wrong.

I have involved SnapAV, who make the Araknis gear, they have logged into my system, and can't see a reason for this either.

This is a well-maintained Windows 10 Pro Dell 630i Desktop computer.

Also, this occurred with regular DHCP.  I also configured both Router and Printer for a Static IP, but the hourly wake-up continues.

I'm hoping somebody can offer some insight, suggestions, or a way to fix this.  Can provide other info if needed.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

Danny

Hi, DLCPhoto!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon printer you're using.  To date, we've made two different printer lines with numbers in the 4800 range, specifically the inkjet PIXMA iP4820 and the laser imageCLASS MF4880dw and MF4890dw.  Please let us know if it's one of these or if it's some other model. That, and any additional details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Sorry about that:

This is the Laser imageCLASS MF4890dw.

Still hoping somebody will have some ideas on what the problem might be.

Patrice
Whiz

Hi DLCPhoto.

Is the printer plugged into a battery-backup surge protector or a regular surge protector? If so, please plug the printer directly into a wall outlet and verify if the issue persists. If the printer remains in energy saver mode, you may want to try connecting the printer to another surge protector.

If the issue persists, we will have to recommend that you call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion, Patrice.

It has been plugged into the same surge protector that it's used since I bought it a number of years ago.

But I unplugged it to test, so it went directly into the wall plug.

Unfortunately, it still woke up at 2 minutes past the hour, same as before.

This obviously is not a new printer - is Canon going to want to charge me for support if I call that number?

And what level of Tech Support would I be reaching at that number?  This is obviously a somewhat obscure, difficult problem, and a Tier-one tech person is not likely equipped to handle trouble-shooting an issue like this.

Greetings,

One thing that would be helpful to know.  Disconnect the printer from all networks (wired/wireless) and/or local USB connection if that is used.  Does the behavior persist?

If yes, the issue is with the printer and is likely related to power.

If not, something on the network might be causing it to "Wake" periodically. 

Isolating the printer should allow you to determine this.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Good suggestion.

I disconnected the cable, WiFi was turned off, and I power-cycled the printer.  It did *not* turn on spontaneously.  So it is being triggered by something in the network.

I left the ethernet cable disconnected, and connected by WiFi to see if that would make any difference.  It did not.  It spontaneously woke up once again.

I guess I'll call the Canon number given above, but I'm not real confident they'll be in a position to provide any insight.

I called Canon, we did a Factory Reset, but no change in the wake-up.

I asked what specifically could be coming in that would cause it to wake up (other than a print job, obviously), so I could have the Router and Switch examined in that regard, but he didn't have anything specific to say on that.

Given the history and trouble-shooting, it has to be something coming from the Router, but SnapAV couldn't identify anything.

Does anybody have any ideas on what a Router could be doing/sending, on an hourly basis, that might trigger this?

Canon support couldn't help. The Araknis people are baffled.

I connected the printer directly to the Araknis switch (it had been going to a D-Link 5-port switch which then went to the Araknis one), just in case there was some odd communication going on, but this didn't resolve the problem either.

Any other ideas welcome - this is an annoying problem.
Announcements