cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite 430EX compatibility with Pocket Wizard FlexTT5

littleny
Apprentice

Im sure this has been covered here before but im looking for very basic instructions for a real non techie girl.

i try to shoot with natural light or simple studio light setup. however today I'm playing around with my flash, studio strobe and pocket wizard and am getting totally frustrated.

I have a flex tt5 pocket wizard attached to my studio strobe with a cable
I have the other flex tt5 mounted on my canon 6D..
click- triggers - no problem - yay
now I want to add my canon 430ex speedlite into the mix. so i mount it directly on top of the shoe on the flex tt5 on top of my camera.
click - only the studio strobe fires. hmmm?
ok so now i turn my speedilte into a slave. set all the channels the same. still no flash.
so frustrating. am i doing something my equipment is not capable of doing?
thx

7 REPLIES 7

I'm not at all sure I understand what you're up to here, but I'm wondering whether you're short one Pocket Wizard in this mix. If you're using one of them as the receiver on on a remotely positioned 430EX, who's acting as the master? But if all you did was reset the 430EX to be a slave, leaving it on the camera above the Pocket Wizard, are you expecting that Pocket Wizard to serve as both a transmitter and a receiver? It wouldn't surprise me if that wouldn't work.

I'm assuming you have the original 430EX, not the new RT version.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

I'm not at all sure I understand what you're up to here, but I'm wondering whether you're short one Pocket Wizard in this mix. If you're using one of them as the receiver on on a remotely positioned 430EX, who's acting as the master? But if all you did was reset the 430EX to be a slave, leaving it on the camera above the Pocket Wizard, are you expecting that Pocket Wizard to serve as both a transmitter and a receiver? It wouldn't surprise me if that wouldn't work.

I'm assuming you have the original 430EX, not the new RT version.

Hi Bob.  welll..my speedlite says 430EXII.  I've had it a couple of years.

Maybe I am short a pocket wizard.  Im trying to fire both my studio strobe and my flash.  I have 2 Flex TT5's.  One on the studio strobe.  One on the camera.  Question is using my existing equipment, is there a way to add the speedlite into the mix either off camera or on.  Sorry to be a stooge.  Im really not checked out this stuff.  Thanks for replying

The PW TT5 units are actually “transceivers”. So they act as either a Transmitter or as a Receiver.

ideally, in your current setup you have x1 camera body and x2 flashguns. With x3 TT5s you can set one on-camera, the second on the 430ex and the third on the 430exii. Ensure that all units are radio-synched to each other. Ensure all units are in the same group (ABC) and that all units are on the same Channel (1.2).

To synch the first two units you need to depress the Learn/Test button and hold them in simultaneously on each device.

Once the LED blinks from Red to Green - the Green indicator shows successful synchronization. Repeat this process with the third TT5.

You can choose to connect one flashgun from the camera to it via a synch cord. The second can fire as a Slave unit.

instead of buying a third TT5, opt to buy a Mini TT1 which is a dedicated Transmitter only. Always mount this on-camera to control the flashguns attached to the TT5s. (Again, this unit requires synching as described above).

Hope this helps!

Cameras:- 7Dii & (x2 40D)
EF:- 100mm f/2.8 macro, 50mm f/1.8, 24mm f/2.8
EF-s:- 55-250mm, 10-22mm, 18-55mm
Flashes:- x4 580exii, MT-24ex, Godox AD300Pro
Triggers:- x5 PW TT5s & x2 PW TT1s & x3 Godox X-Pro

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Replies and contributions are always appreciated.  😀 Please consider however that this thread is 9 yrs old and has not been active since 2015.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hey Rick….

yeah - I noticed the date after Posting!

Hugely embarrassed - sure not to happen again!

(Keeping very quiet)

Cameras:- 7Dii & (x2 40D)
EF:- 100mm f/2.8 macro, 50mm f/1.8, 24mm f/2.8
EF-s:- 55-250mm, 10-22mm, 18-55mm
Flashes:- x4 580exii, MT-24ex, Godox AD300Pro
Triggers:- x5 PW TT5s & x2 PW TT1s & x3 Godox X-Pro

You're fine!  We don't mind old threads getting resurrected if someone's got some relevant new information to add or if a suggested solution didn't quite work.  Each thread is a living document!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Like I said, contributions are always welcome. 🙂 We just want to make sure the material remains relevant.  Don't be shy. This community is a great place because of its members.  Have a good one. 👍

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements