cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speedlite 580ex II flashes at full power

vencislav95
Contributor

HI, everyone 🙂
I have a canon speedlite 580ex II. But suddenly when I had made photos it started to flashes at full power.  Cat Sad Help me. What could be the problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Do you use pocket wizzard or other radio trigger by any chance?

I found this document "http://lpadesign.com/580EXII.pdf" I don't know if it could be your problem or not. But here is the excerpt:

"The symptom of the failure is that the 580EX II will no longer output controlled amounts of light. It will
only output full power dumps. This full power dump will happen even on a pre‐flash, therefore leaving
no stored energy within the capacitor left for a main flash exposure.
The testing quickly revealed that an IGBT (transistor) within the flash is damaged. This part is made by
Renesas (part # RJP4301).
The IGBT is used to turn off the flow of current through the flash tube when the desired amount of light
has been reached. This IGBT is also used to control (modulate) the brightness of the light when in HSS
(High Speed Sync) with the help of a fiber optic cable feeding a light sensor within the main body."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

vencislav95
Contributor

Hi, again.

After shortly research I found that 580ex II has a factory problems. When HSS is turn on, IGBT-burned out. Which part I should replace to fix the problems?

Scott_TCR
Apprentice

It's not an easy repair.  High voltage isn't fun.  Organizing the wires isn't fun.

http://z1b.livejournal.com/44638.html

maybe you can help me.
I am an electronics technician,
I have already repaired 2 times my flash 580ex ii,
once the xenon tube and another time the IGBT. everything was fine.

Then following some hummingbird shooting at 1/8000 sec
my flash returned to full power only, manual, automatic, no more strobe, but the hss always founds a full power.
I still changed the IGBT, although it was not logical since the hss worked well, and check the optical cable,.

I always remain at full power.
  Thank you for your help if you are the technician and repairer of these models

Midel

Canon technicians do not reply here.

Crissmc
Apprentice
Dear Sir,
I have an 580ex ii canon flash, (with the same problem as yours) i change the IGBT, but does not work. What other elements you change, please?
Kind regards,
Cristian S.
Announcements