cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speedlight 430EXlll RT problems

oldbargee
Apprentice

Just treated myself to a 430 EXll RT as I want to use wireless flash for a particular job.  However no matter what settings I use I cannot get my EOS 600D  to fire the flash wirelessly. (flash unit set as wireless slave, channel on both flash and camera the same etc).

Also the link light will not turn green.

Other odd thing is that the flash manual says to use the 'scan' feature but it simply is not present in the sub menu as shown in the manual. Smiley Frustrated Thanks for any help anyone!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
It will connect wirelessly, but it is wireless via a light vs wireless like wifi. You do not need a separate trigger but you do need to follow the instructions. See what I posted. You need to raise your built in flash and be sure the 430 is oriented as shown.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

ScottyP
Authority

Could we be confusing the new radio transmitter/receiver built into the new 430 flash with the old triggering methods like using the light from the camera's flash as a master and the Speedlite as a slave?  

That old way the master flash triggers the slave by emitting a flash of light. The new way has the trigger emitting a radio signal that the radio receiver unit reads as a fire command.  The new radio method is better because the radio has a much longer range than the trigger by light method, and you don't need line. Of sight between the trigger flash and the slave flash either.

To use the new radio trigger feature in the flash you need a radio trigger mounted on the camera.  That can be either another RT Speedlite or else a Canon radio trigger. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Scott is correct. You need to have the 430 set to lightning bolt wireless, not the antenna/lollipop wireless icon.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks guys but according to the 600D's manual it will wirelessly fire a flashgun. ie stages are

1) raise built in flash

2)select flash control in menu

3)    "      evaluative

4)    "      built in flash

5)    "      select 'easy wireless'

6)    "      set 'channel'  to same as flash

7) take picture.

Nothing is mentioned about seperate wireless triggers and having to set a channel on the camera surely means it should communicate with the flash.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
It will connect wirelessly, but it is wireless via a light vs wireless like wifi. You do not need a separate trigger but you do need to follow the instructions. See what I posted. You need to raise your built in flash and be sure the 430 is oriented as shown.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Right! Got it. Flash saved from being thrown in the river in frustration. Many many thanks guys.Smiley Very Happy

Glad to be of assistance.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Glad you have saved your sanity. Things like that can be maddening.

You really should consider using the radio feature though; if you are going to trigger using the popup flash, you could be using the old ver. 2 version. You would need a Canon radio trigger, or just another RT flash to act as a trigger.  Maybe a trigger and one or two more 430 III's and a couple of cheap light stands. 

Good luck. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I have a similar problem but with an EOS 90D.

I can fire the flash optically as a slave from the built in flash but I can't fire it by wifi. Set it up accourding to the manuals but the LINK light stays solid red and flash refuses to fire. Tried everything I can think of but to no avail.

Any idears? 

Norman

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no WIFI option to fire an external flash. You have to use a radio trigger or radio controlled flash (set as master) mounted on the camera hot shoe to control remote radio operated flashes.

Announcements