cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flash triggers and the canon 430exII can't get it to work

Mwhite
Apprentice
I have a canon 6d, and a 430ex II. I purchased a set of remote trigger receivers and transmitter. I also have an old vivitar flash. I can fire both flashes with the test button on the transmitter. I put the transmitter in the shoe of the 6d. Can not get the flashes to fire from the camera. Obviously I have something wrong!:-) how do I get this to work? Settings? Buy more stuff? Never really use flash but want to learn how it works. I know the 430 can't work on its own only as a slave but thought the remote wireless triggers would work.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Mwhite wrote:

Yes I have had it in live view.

That's it.  Third party flashes won't work in LiveView.  Turn it off, I'll almost guarantee that it'll work.  You can try the settings I suggested, but it should work at any setting.  With the dummy triggers it'll even fire if you're above your max sync speed.

Some cameras have a "silent shooting" setting that, when turned off, allow it to work.  Others claim that simply shooting in continuous and shooting multiple frames that the second frame works.

I tried the "silent shootin" custom setting on my 6D and couldn't get it to work.  But I don't really use LiveView, especially with flash, so I didn't put much effort into it.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

I have a 430EX (Mark I); it was never an optical master. Optical master was always kept for the 5xxEX series: 550EX, 580EX, 580EXII, until the RT series. The 430EX-RT III is an RF master. But still not an optical master.

If you want the equivalent of an S1 "dumb" optical slave mode, then then green Sonia slaves are good, but you need a sync connector of some kind to use 'em, which of course, the 430EX models have never had.  It was a sport for a while among flash modders to add a 3.5mm minijack sync port to the 580EX (Mark I). 🙂

Consider trading in the 430EXII for a used 580EXII. Or a Godox TT685C (and maybe an XPro-C transmitter). The TT685C doesn't have the same on-camera capabilities or warranty service/support as a 600EX-RT. But you'll get S1/S2 "dumb" optical slave modes, as well as both master/slave capability for Canon's "smart" optical system. I use one as an optical slave/master with my 580EXII without any issues (although I more commonly use it as a TTL/HSS Godox radio slave to my 5DMkII, GX-7, and X100T).

Thanks, Inkista. Now that it's been a few weeks since I discovered the non-feature of the 430exII, I've calmed down a little. Not any happier about the situation, but calmer. I guess I'll hang on to it and use it on-camera. I'll also use it as an optical master for 3rd party manual flashes. But I don't believe I'll ever purchase another Canon flash.

Thanks for your input.

myim74
Contributor

Hello hope someone can help. Any clue why my Godox ct16 trigger doesn’t seem to be working? New batteries, The triggers communicate fine with each other(doesn’t flash even they trigger communicates with each other), same channels, ex 430ii slave mode is on. I know it works for sure as I saw someone post a YouTube video showing same trigger and same ex 430ii. It was also on slave mode. (Just checked it’s actually ex 430 no ii [LINK REMOVED] (1:46)

still, shouldn’t it work for the ex 430ii any help please. 

Announcements