Did you mean: 

correct batteries for 600EX-RT

wiggins1940
Apprentice

correct batteries for 600EX-RT speedlite

6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

AA's, regular or rechargable but NOT LIthium.

I've been using Eneloops for several years with excellent results.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e02480dd684d

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

AA's, regular or rechargable but NOT LIthium.

Does anyone even make a lithium AA? I don't think I've ever seen one.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I'm thinking they do because (from memory) I think I've seen threads where people rebuilt NP E3's using them. They may not be classed as AA's though. I think that led to charging problems.

PLUS

Why would Canon post a warning about using them if they didn't exist.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

http://www.energizer.com/batteries/energizer-advanced-lithium-batteries

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I use Eneloops (previously Sanyo, but they were bought out by Panasonic).  

Eneloops are "Low Self Discharge" (LSD) rechargeable batteeries.  When you charge them, they'll still contain more than a 90% charge even if allowed to sit on a shelf for a full year (I think Panasonic actually claims 95%).   Rechargeable batteries will "self discharge" just sitting around unused and regular rechargeables actually lose a chunk of energy even after sitting for just one day.  That means if you use typical rechargeables, you really need to put a fresh charge on them on the day of your shoot (and overcharging burns charge cycles).  

Low self-discharge batteries can be charged months ahead of when you actually plan to use them.  If you only occasionally use your flash, you don't have to worry that they've drained while sitting around.

I don't use single-use alkaline batteries (for a long list of reasons.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

wiggins1940
Apprentice

Many thanks to every reply, I appreciate your help, thanks to everyone. I enjoy the help given to us on this message board.

Announcements