cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my speedlite

mjroberts
Apprentice

Hi,

I've just bought a Neewer TT560 speedlite and am using it with my canon 6D. I can't get t to work, and think I am missing something very basic to connect the camera funtioning to the external flash. The speedlite itself is working as it has a test function.

I have mounted the speedlite on my canon hotshoe as per the instructions. What next? Do I need another cable so that on pressing down the shutter the flash works?

On the camera menu, going to flash control - externa flash funtioning setting comes up with the message "incompatible flash or flash's power is turned off". I also have a Yongnuo speedlite and the same happens.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yup, the Yongnuo RF-602 ($20 a set) or RF603 II ($30 a set).  Highly recommended.

I've been using the 602 for years and I think it's a great trigger.  I own a full set of Yongnuo RF-622 triggers, which are eTTL compatible, but I mostly use my 602s because I don't really use eTTL and I like how small and compact the 602s are.

I can't speak to the 603 II from personal experience, but it looks like they made some nice changes.  Just make sure if you get the 603 that you don't get the old first version. If I was buying today I'm not sure which I would get - the 602s have a 1/4" thread on the bottom which allows them to screw directly into my light stands.  It's a fantastic feature, I have no idea why they didn't do it to the 603s. This single feature is probably worth more to me than everything I mention below.  Without that thread you have to use a cold shoe, which isn't near as robust as the thread.

Also, the 602 transmitter is tiny, which I like, but it has a couple of down sides: 

• It uses a special battery (CR2), which are expensive, harder to find, and I don't have a recharger for.  They last forever (well over a year of frequent use), but still, it's nice that the 603 II uses all AAA batteries. 
  • There are no locking mechanism on the feet.  It's no problem on the receivers, since I use the 1/4" thread.  But the little tiny transmiter does slip out on occasion.  Tthe 603 II added a lock on the foot so it doesn't slip out. 
  • There's no on/off switch on the transmitter.  If you just toss the transmitter in your pack and something presses up against it, it will wear the battery out.  I built a little case for it for storage.

And one more plus for 603 II.  The off switch on the 602 receiver, and the original 603s, was poorly placed on the top so you couldn't reach it when a flash is mounted.  They finally moved it to the side for the 603 II.  That is actually a nice upgrade that I wish I had.  The other differences above don't bother me much.  Still, if I was to buy today, I'm unsure which I would get.

Edit: one more thing I forgot.  The 603 II has a pass-through.  So you can mount a tranceiver on your camera to send out the signal and you can still put a flash (or even another trigger) on top of it.  It's not something I do regularly, but I have had need of this function and was unable to do it with my 602s. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
You can't use the on-camera menu system to configure 3rd party flashes (that only works for Canon speedlites). But you can still use the flashes.

If the flash is fully seated in the hot-shoe (make sure you slide it all the way in) then it should trigger when you take a shot. It's a very simple circuit... on the bottom of the flash there's just a center pin and the plate... the plate itself is the "ground". literally if you took a paper clip and conducted it across the foot (metal plate) and center pin... the flash should fire. That's all there is to it (the camera just completes the circuit.)

The camera needs to have a shutter speed set to it's flash sync speed or slower. For the 6D (and this is from memory so don't quote me) I *think* that's 1/160th second.

If you are trying to use the flashes off-camera (not in the hot-shoe) then you need a trigger. There's nothing in the 6D that will cause an off-camera flash to fire.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks Tim. Well unless I'm being incredibly slow that's what I've been doing (connection to hotshoe) and its not firing. But my doubt is also this, if pressing the shutter should automatically fire the flash, if I was doing a shoot then wanted some images without flash, would my only option be turning off the speedlite? Is there not a camera funtion for choosing or not to fire with the speedlite? Any other reason why it wouldn't be firing? Both camera and speedlite are pretty new and contacts are not worn.

@mjroberts wrote:

Thanks Tim. Well unless I'm being incredibly slow that's what I've been doing (connection to hotshoe) and its not firing. But my doubt is also this, if pressing the shutter should automatically fire the flash, if I was doing a shoot then wanted some images without flash, would my only option be turning off the speedlite? Is there not a camera funtion for choosing or not to fire with the speedlite? Any other reason why it wouldn't be firing? Both camera and speedlite are pretty new and contacts are not worn.

I can't say I've ever tried to turn off the flash through the menu, but I could imagine there might be an option even with generic flashes.  But even if so, it's going to be a lot quicker to either turn off the flash itself or pull the flash off.

I have no experience with Neewer, but my Yongnuo's work fine on the 6D.  Although I rarely use them on-camera, I almost always use a trigger.

Only thing I can think of, are you by chance in live view?  Generic flashes and triggers won't work in live view.

Many thanks for your reply. Can you suggest a reliable trigger that is not too costly?

Yup, the Yongnuo RF-602 ($20 a set) or RF603 II ($30 a set).  Highly recommended.

I've been using the 602 for years and I think it's a great trigger.  I own a full set of Yongnuo RF-622 triggers, which are eTTL compatible, but I mostly use my 602s because I don't really use eTTL and I like how small and compact the 602s are.

I can't speak to the 603 II from personal experience, but it looks like they made some nice changes.  Just make sure if you get the 603 that you don't get the old first version. If I was buying today I'm not sure which I would get - the 602s have a 1/4" thread on the bottom which allows them to screw directly into my light stands.  It's a fantastic feature, I have no idea why they didn't do it to the 603s. This single feature is probably worth more to me than everything I mention below.  Without that thread you have to use a cold shoe, which isn't near as robust as the thread.

Also, the 602 transmitter is tiny, which I like, but it has a couple of down sides: 

• It uses a special battery (CR2), which are expensive, harder to find, and I don't have a recharger for.  They last forever (well over a year of frequent use), but still, it's nice that the 603 II uses all AAA batteries. 
  • There are no locking mechanism on the feet.  It's no problem on the receivers, since I use the 1/4" thread.  But the little tiny transmiter does slip out on occasion.  Tthe 603 II added a lock on the foot so it doesn't slip out. 
  • There's no on/off switch on the transmitter.  If you just toss the transmitter in your pack and something presses up against it, it will wear the battery out.  I built a little case for it for storage.

And one more plus for 603 II.  The off switch on the 602 receiver, and the original 603s, was poorly placed on the top so you couldn't reach it when a flash is mounted.  They finally moved it to the side for the 603 II.  That is actually a nice upgrade that I wish I had.  The other differences above don't bother me much.  Still, if I was to buy today, I'm unsure which I would get.

Edit: one more thing I forgot.  The 603 II has a pass-through.  So you can mount a tranceiver on your camera to send out the signal and you can still put a flash (or even another trigger) on top of it.  It's not something I do regularly, but I have had need of this function and was unable to do it with my 602s. 

Okaurora
Apprentice
Hi everyone, reading through this thread since I am trying to use my speed light Neewer 561 flash with my Canon t5. I see that I can't adjust the flash from my Canon, which I am fine with adjusting on my flash. The only thing I haven't been able to learn to adjust is the front/rear curtain sync. Any help with that?
Thank you

betwa2982
Apprentice

Hello, I am also recently bought Neewer TT560 Flash Speedlite [Mod note: Removed link per FORUM GUIDELINES]. It has great features and great flashes. The main feature is that Gary Fong light sphere doesn’t peck fit on this flash tightly, but it stays well if you manage it or use it. If you have no idea about this camera how to use, then you can read its well-designed box. All the information and settings are given.
Flash buttons and switches also provide. You will see Charging port and PC sync, side of the camera flash.

Escalante101
Enthusiast

Here are a couple of questions arising from the Users Manuals associated with the above-referenced camera / flash gear.  Thanks for your patience.

Speedlite 430EX II / 580EX II – Flash Exposure Compensation:  “If the flash compensation has been set with both the camera and the Speedlite, the Speedlite Flash Exposure Compensation will override the camera’s.”  Question:  If the Speedlite Flash Exposure Compensation is set at “zero”, will the camera’s Flash Exposure Compensation work?

External Flash Function:  From 580EX II User Manual (Page 40):  “Flash Exposure Compensation and other settings set with the master unit will also be automatically set in the slave units.  Thus, you need not operate the slave units.”  Is the Pop-Up Flash on the Canon 80D considered a “master unit” for purposes of automatically transferring settings to 580EX II and 430EX II when used as slave units?

External Flash Function Setting Menu only appears when flash is attached to hot shoe (580EX II and 430EX II).  On 430EX II there is no “Wireless Off / On” Option.

Is the "Optical Wireless" option as good as an ETTL cord connected between camera and flash?

I am sitting tight for Syl Arena’s third edition of the Speedliter’s Handbook, which is supposed to be published sometime in mid-2018.  I watched the almost two-hour video on You Tube (sponsored by B&H Photo) and guess I was disappointed in that it seemed to be one huge ad for B&H Photo flash related gear.  This video was made in 2012, so I am wondering if the supposed ETTL Cord is really needed with built-in wireless connectivity on the latest Canon camera models.  Some of the gear he recommended is no longer made by the original manufacturer.  Six years is a long time in technology time.

hfonks23
Apprentice
Hi! I have a Canon Rebel t7i and the Neewer tt560 speedlight and I believe I have all of my settings correctly and while the speedlight is mounted, it is firing but my photos are all black. I have the flash directed at the ceiling, shutter speed is set 1/60-1/200 I've both and all in between. Aperture set at 5.0 and ISO at 100. Flash fires but does nothing to my photo. What am I doing wrong??
Announcements