Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using 2 x Canon 430EX-III RT speedlites question

Djboshh
Contributor

Hi.

I'm quite new to off camera flash.

If i have a set-up of a Canon 800D with one 430EX III-RT on camera fired to light the subject, but wanted to add another 430EX III-RT off camera to light the background, i understand that the on camera speedlite can be used as a master unit controlling the other off camera speedlight, but would both fire a flash at the same time, or would the speedlite that's on camera only act as a transmitter? If the speedlite on camera would only act as a transmitter would that mean I'd need to use both off camera and put a separate transmitter on the camera?

Thanks.

P.s Sorry if i've got any terminology wrong as i'm not too clued up on the subject

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

PLee
Enthusiast

You have a couple of options:

• One 430EX III-RT on camera and one 430EX III-RT off camera is possible via Canon radio wireless.
  • Both 430EX III-RT flash units off camera with the built-in flash of the EOS 80D firing the off camera Speedlite units. This would be using Canon's optical wireless system instead of radio so you have to account for line of sight when triggering with the camera's own flash unit.

Both flash units can fire for exposure in any of the scenarios outlined above.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

PLee
Enthusiast

You have a couple of options:

• One 430EX III-RT on camera and one 430EX III-RT off camera is possible via Canon radio wireless.
  • Both 430EX III-RT flash units off camera with the built-in flash of the EOS 80D firing the off camera Speedlite units. This would be using Canon's optical wireless system instead of radio so you have to account for line of sight when triggering with the camera's own flash unit.

Both flash units can fire for exposure in any of the scenarios outlined above.

Djboshh
Contributor
Brilliant. That's exactly what I needed to know. Ty
Announcements