cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite 600ex-rt battery problem

PhotoSmurf
Apprentice
Hi

I have just bought a 600ex-rt ... But the batteries I put in it (which are all new) only result in a "replace battery" sign and the flash refuses to switch on.

I have tried 3 new sets of batteries, all are top grade lithium batteries, is there a known issue with lithium batteries - the manual says they can be used?

Many thanks for any info that could help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Flash_Speednite
Apprentice

Solution Summary

Steps to Resolve Speedlite 600EX-RT Low/Change Battery Issue:

• Turn the Speedlite power switch to the Off position
  • Remove the SCH-E1 Color Filter Holder
  • Turn the Speedlite power to the On position

Details

After recently purchasing a new Canon 600EX-RT in preparation for a family portrait session, I was eager to get the Speedlite out of the packaging and onto a stand for some test shots before packing up and heading off for a weekend with my extended family.

I grabbed a package of fresh batteries, loaded (4) AA's, secured the battery cover, attached the provided SCH-E1 Color Filter Holder and powered on the Speedlite expecting to see the default factory settings on the 600EX-RT's main LCD display.

Instead I was greeted with a blank LCD and the Low/Change Battery symbol.

I was fairly sure that the batteries that I'd selected were unused, but I usually unpack batteries from their shipping material and add them to a larger container of batteries, so it was possible that used batteries had somehow made their way into the group or that some number of the batteries were simply too old. I set aside the batteries in question and tried another group of four batteries.

I was more than a little disappointed when I was again greeted with the Low/Change Battery symbol. I was fairly certain at this point that the batteries were not the issue, but just be sure I tried a third set of batteries with the same result.

I quickly searched for an online resource that might help me troubleshoot and resolve the issue and found this Canon Support forum thread.

The problem state and the proposed resolutions seem to be inconsistent and involve variations of some or all of the following:

• Power-cycling the device a number of times
  • Opening the battery cover, moving the power switch to either the Lock or On position and then closing the battery cover
  • Holding the Sel/Set button while powering on the device
  • Holding the Clear (Reset) buttons while powering on the device

Unfortunately, none of the proposed solutions resolved the issue for me. So I gave Canon support a call and to see if this was a known issue.

I described the behavior to the support engineer and at first he too was stumped, suggesting that perhaps this was a defective device. He offered me several options for either returning or repairing my new 600EX-RT.

I was hoping for a more immediate resolution AND based on the large number of people reporting this same behavior (here in this thread) I suspected that there might be a Canon support advisory (perhaps only available to Canon support personnel) with information describing the issue along with a resolution that did not involve returning or repairing the device.

I asked the support engineer to check and he kindly agreed. After a few minutes on hold he came back and said there was in fact a support advisory that described a similar problem, but it involved the color filter holder. As previously mentioned, I had installed the color filter holder shortly after unboxing the flash.

I was dubious at first that the filter holder would cause the Speedlite to malfunction, but hoped he was right.

Steps to Resolve Speedlite 600EX-RT Low/Change Battery Issue:

• Turn the Speedlite power switch to the Off position
  • Remove the SCH-E1 Color Filter Holder
  • Turn the Speedlite power to the On position

I performed the steps as indicated and the Speedlite 600EX-RT powered on correctly. I  placed the filter holder back on the device and power-cycled the flash a few more times, and each time the Speedlite came back up as expected.

Upon closer inspection you see sensors near the top of the flash unit and just underneath the bottom clasp of the color filter holder, as well as what appears to be a small magnet in the bottom clasp of the filter holder. These sensors are used by the EOS system to determine when the filter holder is attached to the flash unit and assist in white balance calculations when using Canon supplied filters.

For a more detailed explanation of the color filter's form and functions alongside an EOS camera, google 'Speedlite 600EX-RT SCH-E1 review'.

For a copy of the advisory google 'Canon Issues Speedlite 600EX-RT Product Advisory'

View solution in original post

92 REPLIES 92

if you are still within the rteturn period , i'd strongly consider returning it ..  even tho you have a work round in place ,  It doesnt work 100% right so should be replaced with one that does.. you dont know if this flash will fail at just the worng moment ...

lichted
Apprentice
I had the same issue. Held the clear buttons and then flipped the switch to lock position. Took 10 times or so... No issues since reset.

I was on number 8.

Thanks

kevinleory
Apprentice

Well ..... the manual does say to only use your stock standard  ((zinc–carbon (dry cell)) Alkaline Battery types  , they go on to state that the flash can have issues with Lithium and rechargables due to the way they contact the battery sensor .3648_10152044891116083_1174520113_n.png

My thinking was orginaly that Lithium batteries would be better , but everytime I get a new set of Energizer® Ultimate Lithium AA Batteries, and put them in, I just get that battery symbol on the lcd and  lights flashing but no other response from the Flash .. Then I have to go through  up to 20 or 30 power cycles before the flash will start up properly  I dont have to press and hold the reset buttons or anythign like that .. I suspect it is just a mater of power cycling untill it picks up on the batteries . Once it does pick up the batteries properly , I can turn it on and off at will and everything seems fine for a while  ...    it MIGHT be , that across different brands and makes and model of AA battery there is a bit of varince in the exact dimentions of the battery and contact terminals

"" An AA battery measures 49.2–50.5 mm (1.94–1.99 in) in length including the button terminal—and   13.5–14.5 mm (0.53–0.57 in) in diameter. The positive terminal button should be a minimum 1mm high and a maximum 5.5mm in diameter, the flat negative terminal should be a minimum diameter of 7mm."""  Wikipedia ...

Maybe the device is getting smarter ( more sensitive ) and thus limiting our options in battery choice .. maybe theres a deeper issue about the voltage .. I just dont know ....

I wish the guys who answer the phone at Canon tech support had capacity to shed light on this for me , but they just tell me to send the flash in for repairs, I am not really convinced that a repair will change much due to the fact that my flash works perfect when I put in the batteries that are reccomended by the Manual ...

When I use standard alkailine batteries as the instrction manual specfices , I have not experinced the issue ... In my case the advatage of having quicker recharge times and longer battery life with the Lithium battery is counterbalanced by the inconvience of having to " jumpstart"  the unit ... If your workflow is to need the flash to be relible and not have to mess with it at what may be a time critical point ( potenital for lost photo oppertuinties)  .. then probably best to use standard , alkline batteries , as the more expenive high quality lithiums seem to confuse this flash for some reason ... yet the same batties do not seem to confuse the earilier models of flash , like my 400 ex ...

Wow.  Never read this thread since I don't use the 600ex-RT, but I'm glad I poked my nose in. It doesn't surprise me that Canon contraindicates it, as they seem to be on this mission to drive out third party batteries.  But I'm amazed that they don't actually work with the flash.  Sounds to me like a design issue that Canon discovered too late and tried to fix with some labeling statements.  That's a huge mark against the 600ex in my book.

The issue can't be consistent, otherwise this would be well known and there would have been a huge stink about it.  Despite misconceptions posted in the other battery thread, Eneloops are the industry standard for flashes.  If they didn't work at all in 600ex-RTs this would be well known.

jakartaguy
Apprentice

Greetings all from Jakarta, Indonesia - 

My speedlite 600ex-rt was working great until yesterday when I got the "battery empty" sign after I put in a fresh set of batteries. I thought the batteries might be bad so I bought a new set and still no luck. 

For those interested I am using regular Alkaline (ABC brand) batteries which have worked fine for months. 

I have also tried the few tricks posted in this forum with no luck. 

I will return the flash tomorrow and tell everyone how it goes, cheers. 

Jakartaguy

jakartaguy
Apprentice

WOW!! I just posted a second ago sharing my similar plight but just now found my own solution - please try it. 

Step 1. Place in your batteries, don't close the cover.

Step 2. Turn the Flash ON

Step 3. Close the cover, you will see the "battery drained" sign

Step 4. Turn off the Flash, wait a few seconds.

Step 5. Push the SEL/SET button and don't let go.

Step 6. While holding the SEL/SET button turn ON the flash, or even move it to the LOCK position.

Your green light (hopefully) should turn on at this point. 

If this works for you please be sure to do what you can to one day give back to the community, 

cheers

Jakartaguy

basicly the REAL answer is simply to turn it on and off several times untill the flash recognises the batteries ... All the button pressing and holding is superlitive to the fact that you are turning the flash unit on and off several times ...  Sometime I have luck with one or two power cycles , other times 20 or more , but eventually it will pick up the batteries and I Never once pressed any extra buttons ...

Once the unit sees the batteries it will continue to see the batteries untill you take them out for a while , or let them drian down to 0%

@jakartaguy wrote:

WOW!! I just posted a second ago sharing my similar plight but just now found my own solution - please try it. 

Step 1. Place in your batteries, don't close the cover.

Step 2. Turn the Flash ON

Step 3. Close the cover, you will see the "battery drained" sign

Step 4. Turn off the Flash, wait a few seconds.

Step 5. Push the SEL/SET button and don't let go.

Step 6. While holding the SEL/SET button turn ON the flash, or even move it to the LOCK position.

Your green light (hopefully) should turn on at this point. 

If this works for you please be sure to do what you can to one day give back to the community, 

cheers

Jakartaguy

Thanks Jakartaguy.  This was the only solution that worked for me.

Travelure
Apprentice

I faced a similar problem today; and this is what I found at another forum:

Re: Dead battery Symbol on Canon 600ex-rt Flash
In reply to jamesblk, 2 months ago

I found the problem after a lot of continuity tests. On the cover of the battery compartment is a SLIDE to open the unit to remove the batteries. This slide also acts as a switch to connect the two metal contacts inside the cover. Very carefully spay Contact Cleaner between the plastic and the metal piece that is connected to the slide. Switch back and forth a few times. Turn the flash to the ON position, put new batteries in and then push the cover back on. IT SHOULD TURN YOUR FSH ON. If it does not, do it a few times more. Should work! Good Luck!

For a very expensive flash it is a very poor mechanical design indeed.

After trying this, my flash worked. Thought I'll share it here for members' benefit.

Cheers!

Announcements