cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite 600ex-rt battery problem

PhotoSmurf
Apprentice
Hi

I have just bought a 600ex-rt ... But the batteries I put in it (which are all new) only result in a "replace battery" sign and the flash refuses to switch on.

I have tried 3 new sets of batteries, all are top grade lithium batteries, is there a known issue with lithium batteries - the manual says they can be used?

Many thanks for any info that could help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Flash_Speednite
Apprentice

Solution Summary

Steps to Resolve Speedlite 600EX-RT Low/Change Battery Issue:

• Turn the Speedlite power switch to the Off position
  • Remove the SCH-E1 Color Filter Holder
  • Turn the Speedlite power to the On position

Details

After recently purchasing a new Canon 600EX-RT in preparation for a family portrait session, I was eager to get the Speedlite out of the packaging and onto a stand for some test shots before packing up and heading off for a weekend with my extended family.

I grabbed a package of fresh batteries, loaded (4) AA's, secured the battery cover, attached the provided SCH-E1 Color Filter Holder and powered on the Speedlite expecting to see the default factory settings on the 600EX-RT's main LCD display.

Instead I was greeted with a blank LCD and the Low/Change Battery symbol.

I was fairly sure that the batteries that I'd selected were unused, but I usually unpack batteries from their shipping material and add them to a larger container of batteries, so it was possible that used batteries had somehow made their way into the group or that some number of the batteries were simply too old. I set aside the batteries in question and tried another group of four batteries.

I was more than a little disappointed when I was again greeted with the Low/Change Battery symbol. I was fairly certain at this point that the batteries were not the issue, but just be sure I tried a third set of batteries with the same result.

I quickly searched for an online resource that might help me troubleshoot and resolve the issue and found this Canon Support forum thread.

The problem state and the proposed resolutions seem to be inconsistent and involve variations of some or all of the following:

• Power-cycling the device a number of times
  • Opening the battery cover, moving the power switch to either the Lock or On position and then closing the battery cover
  • Holding the Sel/Set button while powering on the device
  • Holding the Clear (Reset) buttons while powering on the device

Unfortunately, none of the proposed solutions resolved the issue for me. So I gave Canon support a call and to see if this was a known issue.

I described the behavior to the support engineer and at first he too was stumped, suggesting that perhaps this was a defective device. He offered me several options for either returning or repairing my new 600EX-RT.

I was hoping for a more immediate resolution AND based on the large number of people reporting this same behavior (here in this thread) I suspected that there might be a Canon support advisory (perhaps only available to Canon support personnel) with information describing the issue along with a resolution that did not involve returning or repairing the device.

I asked the support engineer to check and he kindly agreed. After a few minutes on hold he came back and said there was in fact a support advisory that described a similar problem, but it involved the color filter holder. As previously mentioned, I had installed the color filter holder shortly after unboxing the flash.

I was dubious at first that the filter holder would cause the Speedlite to malfunction, but hoped he was right.

Steps to Resolve Speedlite 600EX-RT Low/Change Battery Issue:

• Turn the Speedlite power switch to the Off position
  • Remove the SCH-E1 Color Filter Holder
  • Turn the Speedlite power to the On position

I performed the steps as indicated and the Speedlite 600EX-RT powered on correctly. I  placed the filter holder back on the device and power-cycled the flash a few more times, and each time the Speedlite came back up as expected.

Upon closer inspection you see sensors near the top of the flash unit and just underneath the bottom clasp of the color filter holder, as well as what appears to be a small magnet in the bottom clasp of the filter holder. These sensors are used by the EOS system to determine when the filter holder is attached to the flash unit and assist in white balance calculations when using Canon supplied filters.

For a more detailed explanation of the color filter's form and functions alongside an EOS camera, google 'Speedlite 600EX-RT SCH-E1 review'.

For a copy of the advisory google 'Canon Issues Speedlite 600EX-RT Product Advisory'

View solution in original post

92 REPLIES 92

My Powerex charger has a reconditioning mode. This is one of Syl Arena recommended chargers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E5S648/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

did you find a solution to your problem with the "battery dead" symbol?

Just got a new 600EX-RT and had the same issue - I tried 3 sets of brand new batteries and no luck. Then I left the speedlight in the on position, inserted the batteries and closed the cover and it worked. Turned it off and on several times, removed and replaced batteries, fired several test bursts, and no issues after that. Must be a startup glitch. Canon, please fix. And thank you to this forum, I would have spent a lot of unnecessary time and headaches returning the flash to get a new one, that might have had the same issue...

laurie_rhodes
Apprentice

Hi,

did you ever find a solution for this problem.  two out of my three 600-ex-rt's have just "developed" this problem after working for a year?  thank you.

digitaldubuque
Apprentice
Same thing here. Strange. Thank you for this post

hcgraham
Apprentice

I just got my 600 EXRT and I put new batteries into the device and found the same issue. I called around and found a solution that could help you. I powered the device down. Next I held down the two clear buttons under the display and turned the device on. I then move the power switch to lock and the device began working. I believe it reset the system and cleared out the problem.

Hope this helps!

Thanks HCGraham.  Doing This indeed helped for me.  AFTER I also tried 5 packages of batteries...etc...

I just had this happen to me, and I had to use a combination of turning off, holding the clear buttons *and* closing the battery door after turning on, while still holding the clear buttons. Awkward! Doing a shoot for a co-worker today and I was seriously panicking. Thank you!

THANK YOU!! Brough mine back to life with this.

nvs397
Apprentice

Hey guys,

I too have this issue.  I bought a new 600ex-rt from thecamerastore (calgary), and no atter what type of batteries I put in (duracel AA, or Energgizer Advanced lithium), I got the dead battery symbol.  This is hyper frustrating, I've tried everything so far suggested in the forums.  Anyone have any ideas?

Announcements