Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Speedlite 600ex-rt battery problem

[ Edited ]

No fix from Canon as far as I know. They came out with a new model and sweep this issue under the rug in my opinion.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@moranjr wrote:

No fix from Canon as far as I know. They came out with a new model and sweep this issue under the rug in my opinion.

I'm sure you're probably right, but it's not exactly what I wanted to hear. I have a 600EX-RT that's in excellent condition, and I have no desire to spend the $$$ to replace it. But I've had a flash unit decide to quit in the middle of a shoot, and it's an exceedingly embarrassing occurrence. Now that I'm retired, my tolerance is a little higher, but I'll be a long time forgetting the day I had to change flash units while our incoming City Manager and his wife waited at the preliminary photo-op a few minutes before his inauguration.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks A lot.
Great tip. Release my frustrated. I hope it works for many years.
I won’t have to return it. Hopefully
Highlighted
New Contributor

Good tip
This is a third tip f solving flash battery issue. Thanks
Highlighted
New Contributor

Tip 1: turn on then close the cover
Tip 2: hold two clear buttons while turn it on
Tip 3: put filter on turn it on
I collect these tips for everyone use. I am not sure will solve the problem. It may be more tip. Good luck
Highlighted
New Contributor

did you get a response - i have the same problem
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi it is so great you are still using the Speedlite 600ex-rt! I posted 6 years ago, here is my solution:

I just posted a second ago sharing my similar plight but just now found my own solution - please try it. 

Step 1. Place in your batteries, don't close the cover.

Step 2. Turn the Flash ON

Step 3. Close the cover, you will see the "battery drained" sign

Step 4. Turn off the Flash, wait a few seconds.

Step 5. Push the SEL/SET button and don't let go.

Step 6. While holding the SEL/SET button turn ON the flash, or even move it to the LOCK position.

Your green light (hopefully) should turn on at this point. 

Step 7. If it does not turn on try these steps a few more times

cheers

Jakartaguy

Highlighted
New Contributor

thank you - just tried it and it didn't work but i will try again in a little bit - did you have the flash on your camera or off - i tried both ways.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi I had it turned off, then I put the batteries in (don't close cover)  and turned it ON

Highlighted
New Contributor

I have the Speedlite 600EX-RT and I'm having the same issues as i've seen others have. I have had my flash for about 3 years and have NEVER had an issue. I do not leave my batteries in the flash and now it will not come on. I put new batteries in it and tried it but nothing..i've put 2 sets of new battereis but still nothing. I have another flash that i've put those same batteries in and the other flash worked. I am very pissed off and disappointed in Canon and this is not the first time i've had issues with Canon and the lack of support by your product. I am truly TRULY ready to give up all my Canon equipment and go to another brand. I need help and I need Canon to do something.