Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Speedlite 600EX II-RT causes camera viewscreen to go black

I have a Speedlite 600EX II-RT that is 20 months old, and a Canon EOS 5D Mark III. I have occassionally had issues with the flash firing at full power regardless of conditions even on automatic settings, but usually the problem resolves if I take the flash off the camera and put it back, so I have assumed the problem was just a loose connection. Yesterday, however, I had a much bigger problem. This time, no matter what I did, the flash continued to fire at full power. Then suddenly my camera's viewscreen went black: I could not see any photos when I pressed the review button, the menu would not appear when I pressed the menu button, nothing would appear no matter what I tried. Finally, after several minutes of experimenting, I was able to restore function by taking the flash off and removing and replacing the camera battery. But as soon as I replaced the flash and took another photo, the screen went dark again. I repeated this sequence three times, confirming that the camera worked fine without the flash, but as soon as I put the flash on, it turned the screen off, never to return until I removed the flash and then removed and replaced the camera battery.

What on earth is going on here? Has anyone else encountered this issue? Is it a faulty flash, or some weird setting I've accidentally triggered?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Speedlite 600EX II-RT causes camera viewscreen to go black

Be sure that you haven't inadvertently set the flash to TTL (rather than E-TTL). A flash set to TTL will always fire at full poser on an E-TTL camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks, Bob. My flash is on ETTL. I don't actually even see a TTL setting, but it's possible my settings were causing the full-power firing yesterday -- it doesn't seem to be doing it today.

However, when the flash is turned on, it still makes my camera screen go dark as soon as I press the shutter. I can't figure out how the presence of the flash could be affecting my camera screen.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi thelightsall, facing similar issue. Did you get any way out to this yet?

Regards,
Ruben E Robertson