cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite 580EXII

Jchafitz
Enthusiast

Mounting a 580EXII on a T3i & shooting in P.  Flash will inexplicably switch from ETTL mode to TTL, overexposing closer subjects.  Cannot reset to ETTL manually.  Must shut down, remove flash from camera frame, remove batteries and start again. Any thoughts or solutions appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jessica
Enthusiast

Hi Jchafitz, thanks for posting!

We just wanted to let you know that we don't recommend do-it-yourself repairs. If you’re experiencing a problem with your Speedlite, it’s best to let a professional Canon Factory Service Center Technician do the work to keep you and your gear safe.

Jessica in Support

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

digital
Rising Star

That is  a known problem with the 580II. Foot contact problem. If it comes loose then it reverts to TTL. I had one and fortunately never had that happen to me but changed the foot on my flash anyway. Canon did come up with a foot retro you can order from Canon for about $50. It is easy to change or you can send it to Canon. Before doing try cleaning the contacts and you can look up on how to adjust to foot on you tube. I'm sure there is a video.

Original 

_1c-7.jpg

New foot. Canon parts USA.  1-866-481-2569

_1cc-1.jpg

He takes the foot off to adjust it. This is the same procedure to change it. You need one of those hobby set screwdrivers.    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjk9wg3B2w8

Thanx for the info.  Glad (I guess) to find out it's more of a design flaw then a problem singular to me and my equipment. 

No problem. I see the "I guess" part was not great news and I don't blame you. It is a pain but at least now you know why. That Retro foot takes about 15 minutes to change so not all is lost. Adjutsting the original does not look that tough in one video I watched. I think Canon wanted $200 to change the foot. If you are not comfortable doing maybe a freind, etc who is handy with this stuff.

Good luck        

Looks easy enough to do the foot transplant.  Will try the 'tighten up' 1st.  Traveling next week & would like a reliable flash.  Have a wedding coming up where I would NEED a reliable flash.  Thanks again for the info.

Also, I see the OEM replacement various places online for +/- $50. Thats a workable number...

Jessica
Enthusiast

Hi Jchafitz, thanks for posting!

We just wanted to let you know that we don't recommend do-it-yourself repairs. If you’re experiencing a problem with your Speedlite, it’s best to let a professional Canon Factory Service Center Technician do the work to keep you and your gear safe.

Jessica in Support

Attn:  Jessica...

Any idea on the over/under cost of Canon repair for this service?

About $200. May as well sell that one and buy a new flash depending on it's age.  With due respect to Canon not only did I change my foot, I swapped out the PC port for a mini jack on my own. I also purchased a foot with a mini jack port for my 580EX which did not have a port and installed that one too.

I recently sold off everything and went with 600 RT's. Not becuase the mods did not work. More for consistency. When working in a frantic environment the morw things you have that are the same programming wise the easier it is. I had a few 3rd party flashes as well. Also less batteries, triggers and cables to deal with.   

Announcements