cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite 270 EX II with Canon 6D and Yongnuo RF603c II - Flash not working off camera

mjandrew
Apprentice

I have a Canon 6D (mark 1) and I was looking to use my existing Speedlite 270EX II as an off-camera flash. The flash works great on the camera but it's not recognised off it.

I bought a Yongnuo RF603C II wireless flash trigger in the hope that would allow my 270EX II to work off the camera but I just can't get the flash to work. I have the Yonguo's on the same channel and set to TX mode. The 270EX II is mounted on the mini stand.

On the camera menu I get the following error in the flash functions setting section "this menu cannot be displayed. incompatible flash or flash's power is turned off".

The 270EX II works fine with my 80D off camera so I'm guessing there must be a compatibility issue with the 270EX II and the  Yongnuo RF603c II when used with a 6D?

Assuming they aren't compatible does anyone know if a Speedlite 430EX II would work off camera, or do I need to look at adding in something like a 90EX in order to get it working?

Many thanks,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mjandrew
Apprentice

Many thanks for the replies, I really appreciate your feedback. Your suggestions have got the flash working for me and I'm really happy with the result.

I turned off liveview and I powered the accessories up before the camera and the flash is now firing in both M and AV modes.

Thanks for your help with this.

Cheers, Mike

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You will get the best results with Canon gear.

Howeve, the 6D seems to be finicky with some devices mounted on the flash shoe.  From what I have observed, the order in which you power up the accessory and the camera can make a difference.  Always power up the accessory before the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Howeve, the 6D seems to be finicky with some devices mounted on the flash shoe.  From what I have observed, the order in which you power up the accessory and the camera can make a difference.  Always power up the accessory before the camera.

Gee, if that's literally true, I think I'm glad I don't own a 6D. Just a couple of days ago, I was shooting at an event where I was constantly turning the flash on and off, depending on the direction of the sun. I would hate to have had to also turn the camera on and off each time.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Gee, if that's literally true, I think I'm glad I don't own a 6D. Just a couple of days ago, I was shooting at an event where I was constantly turning the flash on and off, depending on the direction of the sun. I would hate to have had to also turn the camera on and off each time.

I really suspect that it is true.  However, it is not as bad as you might think.  

The camera seems to poll the hot shoe for devices only on power up, which kind of makes a little sense.  Once the camera “knows” there is a device attached, the flash can power down to standby without losing communication.

I have never tried to power down the flash, and never had reason to do so.  I really do not use the flash much.  I am not a fan off the shadows, even when I bump it off of the ceiling and diffuse it.  Lightroom can do a decent job of acting like a “fill flash”, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

My 6d mii works fine with 603 triggers firing canon flashes.

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

3rd party non-ETTL flash units are not compatible with the flash menu but they should be able to work as a basic off camera flash trigger.

These units don’t work if you are using Liveview but there is a work around available by disabling Liveview Silent Shooting. 

Mike Sowsun

mjandrew
Apprentice

Many thanks for the replies, I really appreciate your feedback. Your suggestions have got the flash working for me and I'm really happy with the result.

I turned off liveview and I powered the accessories up before the camera and the flash is now firing in both M and AV modes.

Thanks for your help with this.

Cheers, Mike

bentleyb
Contributor

I have two 430 EXII each on RF603c II and one RF603c II on the hot shoe of either the 40D or R6 and they work fine. I can turn the RF603c II on after the camera is on and it's still no issue. Would be nice if there was a trigger wirelessly for the R6 that would allow remote adjustments of the 430 EXII.

Announcements