cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel XTi

amaddison
Apprentice

Does anyone have any recommendations for a flash for a Rebel XTi? I was looking at the Speedlite 320ex or the 270EXII but don't have any experience with these flashes.

3 REPLIES 3

Tim
Authority

Hello amaddison,

A great flash recommendation for your EOS Rebel XTi would be the Speedlite 320EX. 

The versatile new Speedlite 320EX features an LED light on the front of the flash body that can be used to illuminate nearby subjects in dim light.  The light is ideal for video recording but can also be used as a modeling light or as an AF assist beam during Live View shooting.

A flash release function further facilitates wireless flash shooting by enabling the shutter to be released remotely from the Speedlite 320EX with a two-second delay, which gives the photographer time to re-aim the flash if necessary.  The Speedlite 320EX combines rich bounce functionality with high performance, ensuring smooth, professional-looking results.

Flash coverage and guide number can be changed manually by extending or retracting the flash head.  The Normal position provides wide coverage equivalent to a 24mm lens (full-frame) with a guide number of 79 (ft.) / 24 (m) at ISO 100.  The Tele position boosts the guide number to 105 (ft.) / 32 (m) at ISO 100 while providing coverage for lenses 50mm and longer (full-frame).

You can learn more, as well as find a dealer, here, on the product site for that flash.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

RexGig
Enthusiast
If you can afford the 320EX, it will be a much better performer than the 270EX II, as the head can both tilt and swivel, and the LED light can be a handy option. I often shoot at night, and find the LED feature of the 320EX very handy, even though do not shoot video. I also have a 270EX II, the chief virtue of which is pocket-ability.

Having said that, I started DSLR shooting with a bag of pre-owned equipment that included an XTi and a 580EX Speedlite. I then acquired a second 580EX, then a 580EX II, and then, earlier this year, a pair of the 600EX-RT Speedlites. There is no such thing as "too powerful" in a Speedlite, because the power can be manually set, or the camera can control the power level through ETT-L. A big Speedlite can act like a small light, but not vice versa.

The 430EX II can do most of the things the top-tier flashes can do, and has quite a bit of power, without costing so much. This makes it a candidate for most value for one's money. Because I started with a higher-power Speedlite, however, I have never had a reason to acquire a mid-level 430EX or 430EX II.

The previous post's recommendation of the 320EX does, however, makes practical sense, because the 320EX will still be very useful as a second Speedlite after you have advanced to higher-level flashes.

amfoto1
Authority

Something I'd recommend with any of the flashes you're considering is to use them with an off-camera shoe cord and a flash bracket. This moves the flash off to the side and higher, farther from the lens' axis, so that redeye is less of a concern and shadows are nicely thrown down and behind subjects.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Announcements