cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MR-EX14 Ring Lite Flash has No Pilot Light.

charcos
Apprentice

Hello,

My Ring Lite Flash MR-14EX has no pilot light when switched on. I wondered if it had some settings that needed to be reset or cleared by attaching to camera, so connected it to my 70D. When first put on, the ETTL shows on the flash LCD but as soon as I select the options on my camera menu screen it changes to TTL every time. My camera recognised that something is connected to its hot shoe, but nothing more than that, being unable to access the flash to use the camera menu reset options for external flash saying it has no access. I have to open & close the battery compartment of the flash, in order to get the flash back to the ETTL option, but each time camera menu is fired up it reverts to TTL. All the time with no pilot light.

I have Googled the issue, with some info on the ETTL and TTL issue, but have exhausted those help points of interest.

I have checked the alkaline battery's with multimeter and tried a set of rechargables ones too just in case. I have also checked and cleaned the hot shoe on the camera and flash contacts, along with the contacts in the flashes battery compartment too. I am able to attach another external flash I have to the camera which works as expected, so the camera is not at fault.

I am left wondering if it might be that the flash tubes themselves have gone, although would one not fire up without the other, as the chances of both having blown at same time seems unlikely. Is there a test i can do etc to say if it's the tube that's gone ?

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Ray-uk
Whiz

Broken flash tubes would not cause the problems you are having, it is clearly an electronics problem and not something you will be able to repair yourself. Time to seek a professional repair.

Announcements