cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an advantage in optical transmission with TTL that you lose with radio?

RezaM
Contributor
I have an ST-E3-RT and 4 600EX-RTs and that is all I use for lighting. I use both E-TTL and Manual. I always prefer to use my radio for E-TTL but was wondering, is there an advantage whatsoever for someone in my case to ever use optical when all I need is Radio transmission either in E-TTL or manual? Is there an advantage in optical transmission with E-TTL that you lose with radio? I read somewhere that may be the case where the optical communication between speedlights for determining exposure in TTL is more accurate with optical transmission than radio. It may be that the Nikon folks are pushing that thought but wanted to check. Thank you all.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@TCampbell wrote:

There are cheaper systems ... certainly.  But those tend to be extremely basic manual triggers (via radio).  There are a few 3rd party systemw chich offer ETTL, but those support the more basic capabilities of ETTL and they tend to be QUITE expensive ... and still have reliability problems. 

This argument seems to get more dated every time it comes back up.  Yongnuo has (cheap) manual triggers that allow remote control of both power and zoom; not what I would call basic manual.  They also have eTTL triggers that run about $35 each, hardly what I'd call expensive.  I own a full set, though admittedly  I don't shoot a lot of eTTL so I tend to use my manual triggers.  But as far as I know they seem to have all the functions of the Canon eTTL system.  What functions do they lack?

And the reliability issue.  Well, Yongnuo did have a legitimate one many years, and many generations back.  But I've never had an issue with any of my equipment.  But I think the point is highly exaggerated on the internet, and mostly by people who don't use them.  YMMV, I understand that people will always want the name brand, regardless of anything.  But my experience with Yongnuo equipment has been nothing but exemplary.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Thank you all very much. I used to use PWs and had 430s and 580s. As you say reliability was sometimes an issues, in many instanced a big issue. I do weddings sometimes and reliability is super important. During the past 8 months since I completely switched to 600s and the ST-E3-RT I have yet to miss a shot due to the speedlights not firing. That's been huge for me and I use the CP-E4 battery packs with each 600 and I don't even think about the speedlights anymore. I set them up, turn them on and never touch them for another 3 or 4 hours sometimes. 100% reliable every time.

Not worried too much about second curtain as I don't need it as much. The complete system as I've put it together cost me a lot of money but I look at as the gear should never get in the way of the photographer and long term hopefully the reliability of the system will pay for itself.

Thanks again for all your help.

Reza Mirzai

1DX, 5D III, 6D

@TCampbell wrote:

There are cheaper systems ... certainly.  But those tend to be extremely basic manual triggers (via radio).  There are a few 3rd party systemw chich offer ETTL, but those support the more basic capabilities of ETTL and they tend to be QUITE expensive ... and still have reliability problems. 

This argument seems to get more dated every time it comes back up.  Yongnuo has (cheap) manual triggers that allow remote control of both power and zoom; not what I would call basic manual.  They also have eTTL triggers that run about $35 each, hardly what I'd call expensive.  I own a full set, though admittedly  I don't shoot a lot of eTTL so I tend to use my manual triggers.  But as far as I know they seem to have all the functions of the Canon eTTL system.  What functions do they lack?

And the reliability issue.  Well, Yongnuo did have a legitimate one many years, and many generations back.  But I've never had an issue with any of my equipment.  But I think the point is highly exaggerated on the internet, and mostly by people who don't use them.  YMMV, I understand that people will always want the name brand, regardless of anything.  But my experience with Yongnuo equipment has been nothing but exemplary.

Thanks again for your great insight and information.
Cheers.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements