cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Canon 6D and 600ex-rt speedlite

RCP
Contributor

I'm having problems using my speedlite off camera with this trigger/receiver http://www.amazon.com/Trigmaster-Transmitter-Receivers-Powershot-600EX-RT/dp/B004FLE5X8/ref=sr_1_1?i...

Both the camera and the speedlite are new upgrades for me, so I'm hoping I've just missed a setting somewhere.  I'm exposing for the background and using fill flash for the main subject.  If I use the speedlite on camera, it does exactly what I want it to do, but if I hook the speedlite up to the trigger/receiver, it doesn't.  The flash appears to trigger, and the settings on the camera are staying exactly the same whether I'm using the flash or not (I'm using manual settings in the camera), but there is no fill flash in the photo.  I've tried both ETTL and Manual mode on the speedlite.  This is driving me crazy - any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5

diverhank
Authority

Without getting into specifics (I don't have any of your equipment), what appears to happen is that the delay is too long.  By the time the flash fires, the exposure has already taken place.  

To confirm this, instead of having a fast shutter speed, try something slow like 1/2 second and see if this works.  If this works you need to work out minimizing the trigger delay and set the shutter speed accordingly.  Plz let me know if my theory holds water. Thanks.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

digital
Rising Star

First off I don't see anywhere on the packaging or the description that this trigger system is ETTL capable. Since Canon RT only works with Canon products the 600 is basically a manual flash when off camera. Make sure it is not on Master or Slave, put the flash on manual and try at full power to see if you get a good burst. I'm asking a dumb question but you never know. You do have a transmitter/receiver on both the flash and on the camera correct? You msut because you said that flash appears to trigger. What is your shutter speed when off camera?           

There's no way those triggers are eTTL capable.  If they were everyone would know about it (they're cheaper than the 622s).

So, you’re saying that it looks like the flash fires, but there’s no change to the exposure?  Either they’re not powered enough or it’s a timing issue.  As stated above, these are “dumb” triggers.  Dumb as in they won’t do any of the thinking for you, it’s up to you to use the correct settings (there’s nothing wrong with dumb triggers, I use them all the time).   Here’s what I’d do to troubleshoot.

First check that the flash fires.  Just by looking at it, not in the exposure.  If it doesn’t, check that the trigger and receiver are on the same channel, they’re secured to the camera and flash solidly, etc.

If that works, then take a full manual picture making sure your shutter speed isn’t too fast.  Do it indoors so you’re not fighting the sun.  Set the Flash to Manual (not eTTL) and move it up to full power. Set the camera to manual and use a middle of the road setting: ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/160 second. Take a shot of something fairly close (5 feet away or so), point the flash right at it.  It should blast your subject at full strength that close.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The flash MUST be used in M mode (not TTL or ETTL).  The camera needs to use a shutter speed which is 1/160th or slower.

If you want ETTL support, buy either the Canon ST-E3-RT (about $300 at Amazon) or buy a 2nd 600EX-RT speedlight (which is what I did... it's more versatile and the number of times I want multple speedlights makes this something that, if you start getting serious about flash, you're going to want to own anyway.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Ok - I've got it... It was the shutter speed. The camera automatically restricts my shutter speed to 1/180 when it's on camera... and since my trigger/receiver is a "dummy" and the flash has to be on manual - I wasn't being careful about keeping the shutter speed down. I knew it had to be something simple that I was overlooking.  I do have an extra flash although it's only a 320.   Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements