cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash not working. LINK, flash ready, and Power light turn on even with flash OFF

adifrank
Apprentice

Hi.

I have a Speedlite 600ESII-RT.

I also have 4 AA Watson rechargeable batteries.

I took out the flash after having not used it for a while. I wanted to check if the rechargeable batteries are ok because the charger led light was indicating something strange.

When I took out the non-rechargeable batteries that were already in the flash I noticed they were warm, which is wierd because the flash was definitely set to OFF.

Anyhow I took out the batteries that were there and put in the Watson rechargeable batteries.

As I closed the lid to the battery compartment, even though the flash was still set to OFF, I noticed the following:

LINK led light came ON

The green power led light came ON

The red "flash ready" led light with the lightning bolt arrow icon came ON

Again, all 3 of these indicator lights came on even with the power button set to OFF.

When I set the power to ON the above indicator lights remain ON and nothing else happens. The flash doesn't work.

The only way I can get those lights to turn off is to remove the batteries.

Anyone have a clue what might be going on?

2 REPLIES 2

adifrank
Apprentice

Here is a picture of the situation I'm describing. It might be clearer this way.

Notice the led lights that are on, even though the main power switch is set to OFF

Screenshot_1.jpg

Tim
Authority

adifrank, 

We are sorry to hear of the issues with your Speedlite 600EX II RT.  We recommend sending your unit for service.  For factory service, please forward your Speedlite to one of the Factory Service Centers shown below. If it has been less than one year since the Speedlite was purchased, we ask that you also include proof of warranty in the form of a copy of your sales receipt.

You are not required to send any accessories or manuals when shipping the Speedlite. Please remove the batteries.  Be sure to include your name, street address (no P.O. boxes, please), telephone number, email address, and a letter describing the issue with the product. 

Alternately, you may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

As we do not provide RMA numbers for service, we suggest using a trackable and insurable service (i.e. UPS, FedEX, Priority Mail) to ship your Speedlite. Please package the Speedlite very securely in a sturdy shipping box to prevent damage during shipment.

Please send your Speedlite to one of the Factory Service Centers below:

Canon Factory Service Center
12022 Canon Boulevard
Newport News, VA 23606

Or:

Canon Factory Service Center
123 Paularino Ave.
Costa Mesa, CA 92626-3311

Upon arrival at the Factory Service Center, your Speedlite will be logged in to our repair database and assigned a repair number. The length of time for the repair will be dependent upon the nature of the repair and availability of parts, if needed. Usually, warranted repairs are completed within approximately five to seven business days of the Speedlite's arrival at the Factory Service Center.

All decisions regarding warranty coverage are made by the Factory Service Center at the time of repair. If the repair entails something that is not covered in warranty, a written estimate will be sent to you at the address that you have provided. The repairs to your Speedlite will not begin until you approve this estimate and make payment arrangements. 

Once you have confirmed with your shipper that the Speedlite has been delivered, you are more than welcome to contact us for repair updates. Please include your name, address, and telephone number, as well as the serial number of the Speedlite, in all repair status inquiries.

Please note that our U.S. Factory Service Centers are unable to accept packages from or return equipment to addresses outside the United States.

Canon Shipping Solution

Canon USA and The UPS Store have partnered to provide our customers with a convenient repair drop-off solution at any one of the 4,500 UPS retail locations.

With the Canon Shipping Solution program, you receive a 20% discount on the packaging (box, tape, bubble wrap) of your item to be sent in for repair and discounted shipping rates of 5% - 8% (off local retail rates)*.

Simply print the attached PDF here and bring it to your nearest UPS Store retail location.
http://www.theupsstore.com/locations

"*Participating Canon Factory Service Centers only (Costa Mesa, CA and Newport News, VA)

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements