cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External flash

Eddie1952
Contributor

I have a canon Rebel T3I, I do not have an external flash, what would be a good purchase for me,  speedlite 270ex, 430ex markII, or the 580exII.

3 REPLIES 3

Scatterbrained
Enthusiast
Right now I would have to go with the 430 exII as the best bang for your buck. It will give you the most functionality in the price range while giving up a little power to the 580. Granted it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the 580, but it has a fully positionable bounce head (very important) which it's two smaller sibling do not. It's half the price of a 580exII, while only being $100 more than the 270 and (right now) $5 more than the 320.

Here's a good video that compares the 430 to the 320.   Right now B&H is showing the 430 at only $5 more. 

The 580EX II is an awesome flash but has been discontinued so it may be a little hard to find new.  It's little brother the 430EX II is also a great unit and may soon be discontinued due the rumored 440, 450, whatever it will be called  flash.    I'm expecting this new flash to radio controlled like the 600EX RT and probably about the same price as the 430EX II.    Currently the 600EX RT which replaced the 580EX II, is about $20.00 more than 580EX II was at discontinuation time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you got a little time to hold off, it might be worth it.  My guess, and its just a guess, the new  flash will be available by March.  Otherwise grab a 430EX II or 580EX II now.

Check Craigslist and ebay, you might find some good deals from people moving to radio controlled flash.

Announcements