cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External flash

nav16
Contributor
I have a Canon EOS 80D. I also have two flashes (4300EX 3-RT) and (270EX 2). Does anyone know if there was a way I can get the two flashes to go off while I take a picture and the flash on camera would stay off.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, the camera's built-in flash must fire to trigger the slave in optical mode. 

BUT.... The way you have it set, you will see the flash fire, but it is actually sending coded optical light signals just before the slave flash fires, and you should not see the light from the built-in flash in your photo. 

5D3_1150.JPG

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

You have to have the internal flash on to communicate with the 430 flash. It uses pulses of light from the flash to send signals. I strongly suggest you download the full manual and go through the wireless flash section of the manual.

nav16
Contributor
I havent tried anything with the 270 yet. I have the setting just like Mike said and couldn't get it to work

The 430EX RT-II has both radio and optical wireless capability. Because your camera can only use optical, make sure the flash in in optical slave mode. 

The 270EX only has optical slave, so try it and see if it works

Mike Sowsun

1549332215716_0__IMG_000000_000000.jpg0__IMG_000000_000000.jpg

These are the settings I have on my camera and the flash. Maybe it might help out ? Am I doing something wrong?? 

It looks like you have OPTICAL wireless enabled. It should work.

Just double check the channel and group to make sure it is all the same.

Review all the steps below to make sure you didn't miss anything:

430ex.jpg

430ex2.jpg

430ex3.jpg

430ex4.jpg

Mike Sowsun

nav16
Contributor
I called a local camera shop and they said the flash on the camera needs to go off to trigger the speedlight. Is this true? I have the camera and speedlight on the same chanel and it won't go off. I just want the speedlight to go off without using the camera flash

Yes, the camera's built-in flash must fire to trigger the slave in optical mode. 

BUT.... The way you have it set, you will see the flash fire, but it is actually sending coded optical light signals just before the slave flash fires, and you should not see the light from the built-in flash in your photo. 

5D3_1150.JPG

Mike Sowsun

nav16
Contributor
Ok thanks
Announcements