cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External flash

nav16
Contributor
I have a Canon EOS 80D. I also have two flashes (4300EX 3-RT) and (270EX 2). Does anyone know if there was a way I can get the two flashes to go off while I take a picture and the flash on camera would stay off.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, the camera's built-in flash must fire to trigger the slave in optical mode. 

BUT.... The way you have it set, you will see the flash fire, but it is actually sending coded optical light signals just before the slave flash fires, and you should not see the light from the built-in flash in your photo. 

5D3_1150.JPG

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The 430EX III-RT and 270EX II are not compatible in Radio wireless operations. 

The 430EX III-RT has both radio wireless capability and optical wireless capability as a "Slave Flash", but only radio wireless capability as a "Master Flash".

The 270EX II has only optical wireless capability as a "Slave Flash", just as the 430EX II in the chart shown in the manual.

You can use your 80D built in flash as an Optical master for both flashes in optical slave mode.

430EX RT.jpg

Mike Sowsun

PLee
Enthusiast

Yes, the built-in flash on the EOS 80D can function as an optical wireless transmitter to control both of the flashes you've mentioned off camera. The built-in flash can also be configured to not fire during the actual exposure as well.

nav16
Contributor
Do you know how I can configure it so the flash on my camera is off but the off camera flash will fire

(I edited my original answer above. I thought you wanted the 430EX III -RT to be the master to the 270EX II slave)

Yes, you can use the 80D built in flash to fire one or both of your external flashed using optical wireless.

Under the Built in Flash settings, select Wireless func. and then select the middle icon for external flash only. The top selection is for flash ratios between the built in flash and external flash and the bottom one is for firing both the built in and external flash together. (You can also use ratios between multiple external flashes)

You will still see the built in flash fire, but it is only sending the coded optical wireless flash instructions and will contribute little or no light to the scene. (if you have a very close subject or high ISO you may see a little light from the built in flash in the photo)

5D3_1147.JPG

5D3_1148.JPG

5D3_1149.JPG

5D3_1150.JPG

5D3_1151.JPG

5D3_1152.JPG

Mike Sowsun

nav16
Contributor
Awesome. I will try it when I get home this afternoon

nav16
Contributor
Couldn't get it to work. Should I se the 4300 to master or slave? Just to be clear, the 4300 is gonna be off the camera and sitting on the stand by itself

The 430 should be an optical slave. What did not work?

nav16
Contributor
So I have set my camera to what Mike said. My camera is on Av and the flash on my camera is off. I just want the external flash to go off. With these setting, my 4300 won't go off

@nav16 wrote:
So I have set my camera to what Mike said. My camera is on Av and the flash on my camera is off. I just want the external flash to go off. With these setting, my 4300 won't go off

Is the 270EX working as a Slave?  Do you have the built-in flash set like this? 

5D3_1151.JPG

Mike Sowsun
Announcements