cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting power past 1/128

Kolourl3lind
Enthusiast

I would like to cut the power down past 128 on my ex600. Now I know I can bounce the flash , but this does not work in a dark room. I can use the a defuser or bounce card but I would need  more light to go forward that this options allow.  I can stop down the aperture but than I lose the shallow depth of field. I can lower the iso but then I lose the ambient light that a high iso provides. And generally this would be an on camera flash, off camera flash would not be an option.

I am thinking maybe put some index cards infront of the flash till I get the light power I want?

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Maybe put ND gels in the filter holder for the flash head?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

interesting idea, but it would have to be so light weight material maybe if i stack color white filters over each other?

Hi. Not sure what color white filtrs are, but the ND gels I am talking about would weigh no more that the ornage gel that comes with the flash unit.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

yes ok that's what I mean. can you show me some on amazon?

Forum won't let us post commercial info, but Google "ND filter gels" and you get a bunch of hits.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

You sir deserve a cheese treat wrap in a tasty prezel (kudos!!)   I wonder why you see all the photographers on youtube and online with big heavy ND filters?

is there a way i can tell how much light I will be losing using the filter?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_density_filter
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Light falls off immensely with distance. Pull the light back as far as possible in the room and see what that does. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements