Canon Community Canon Community

Esteemed Contributor

Cool new Canon flash

The new Canon 470EX Flash can *automatically* set the bounce angle of the head:

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2018/speedlite-470ex-ai/speedlite-470ex-ai-revolutiona...

Respected Contributor

Re: Cool new Canon flash

@kvbarkleywrote:

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2018/speedlite-470ex-ai/speedlite-470ex-ai-revolutiona...

Pretty cool except I have absolutely no need for it. I'd prefer to control where I bounce instead of having the flash guessing for me...

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Esteemed Contributor

@diverhankwrote:

@kvbarkleywrote:

Pretty cool except I have absolutely no need for it. I'd prefer to control where I bounce instead of having the flash guessing for me...

In the product inro video Canon mentioned that they expect experienced shooters will not likely use the full AI mode where the camera auto-detects subject distance and distances to bounce surfaces and decides how to handle it for the user.  There's another mode for experienced shooters where you point the light yourself... but it does offer an added benefit that if you re-orient the camera, the flash head has a sensor and it can auto-reposition itself to the same spot (e.g. switching from landscape to portrait orientation).  

I don't think I'd use it either... but I've seen users struggle with flash photography and make... lets just say non-optimal use of their flash and this flash would probably really help them out.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Valued Contributor

Its a little gimmicky, but I like it.  It weighs about the same as a 600EX II-RT too.  I may not run right out to grab one, but for many it could be a cool addition to their bag.

Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 (f/w 1.0.4) ~16-35mm f2.8L II, 50 f1.8 STM, 85 prime USM, 70-200 f2.8L IS II ~70-300 USM II ~Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Art (f/w 2.01)
~Sigma 150-600 C + TC1401 1.4x (f/w 1.03) ~Speedlite 430 EX II ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro nVidia GPU 1803
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@shadowsportswrote:

Its a little gimmicky, but I like it.  It weighs about the same as a 600EX II-RT too.  I may not run right out to grab one, but for many it could be a cool addition to their bag.

If nothing else, it calls attention to the fact that the current fad of avoiding all use of flash can cause one to overlook situations where bounce flash could be very beneficial.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA