cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT with EOS R: Some questions

TokiyoRio
Apprentice

Hi,

I've never used add-on flash or speedlights with my cameras (a few beginner and intermediate level Canon DSLRs and now EOS R). But now I'm getting into People and Portraiture photography, so thought of getting a flash for my EOS R.

I found a very good deal for a used 600EX-RT, which I'm thinking of buying. I have read about the Speedlite flashes, and know a bit about them, technically and specifications wise, but never used one.

Here's where I need your help.

1. Anyone who has used this combination (Speedlite 600EX-RT with EOS R) and would like to share their experiences/quirks?

2. What should I look for when testing this flash on my camera? What are the basic things to check, in like 30 minutes or so while I meet the seller and make a decision? The photos of the flash look fine, but what are the important things to check which make sure the flash operates fine?

3. Since I've never worked with add-on flash, I'm reading a lot on how it works and how to make the best use. If you would like to help by sharing the best tutorials, please do.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

diverhank
Authority

The 600EX-RT should work just fine with the R without any quirks.

It's not possible to test all functions without having at least another flash for master slave functions. But you can still test quite a bit.

1. Make sure you bring with you 4 fresh AA batteries, in case the seller says something like he's out of batteries or forgot to load them.

2. Mount the flash, turn it on.

3. Access the R Flash Function Settings on the Menu.  Hit enter.

4. You should see ETTL and other options displayed on the screen.

4a. Change ETTL to M and observe that the flash display changes to M as well.  Then change the power setting and confirm.  Observe that the flash power is set accordingly.  This means the camera talks to the flash.  Subsequently change to MULTI, Ext-A and Ext-M.   Flash should follow camera modes well.

4b. Exercise Zoom Auto (and verify flash zoom goes to the lens focal length or close to it). 

4c.  Exercise curtain sync.  Most important is Hss (flash symbol next to H) can be activated.  The flash will display the symbol.

4d.  If you wish you can exercise the rest of the functions ( flash compensation and FEB bracketing).

4e.  I save the best for last.  On the second box of the menu is WIRELESS OFF.  Press on it and you will get another menu.  Pick the antenna symbol and hit OK.  The flash display should indicate that it is now a master and has a corresponding antenna - This signifies that the flash now is a master controller using Radio Transmission.  Change the antenna symbol into a lightning bolt symbol.  The flash will change to a lighning symbol as well - now it's ready to be an optical Master.

At this point, you are pretty sure that the flash at least can communicate well with the camera.

5.  Turn the wireless function off (back to WIRELESS OFF).  Back to ETTL.  Try firing off a shot for green A, P, Av, Tv and M mode.  You should get fairly decent exposure for each mode.  That shows ETTL works fine.

6. At this point I'd declare success.  GLWTS.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@TokiyoRio wrote:

Hi,

I've never used add-on flash or speedlights with my cameras (a few beginner and intermediate level Canon DSLRs and now EOS R). But now I'm getting into People and Portraiture photography, so thought of getting a flash for my EOS R.

I found a very good deal for a used 600EX-RT, which I'm thinking of buying. I have read about the Speedlite flashes, and know a bit about them, technically and specifications wise, but never used one.

Here's where I need your help.

1. Anyone who has used this combination (Speedlite 600EX-RT with EOS R) and would like to share their experiences/quirks?

2. What should I look for when testing this flash on my camera? What are the basic things to check, in like 30 minutes or so while I meet the seller and make a decision? The photos of the flash look fine, but what are the important things to check which make sure the flash operates fine?

3. Since I've never worked with add-on flash, I'm reading a lot on how it works and how to make the best use. If you would like to help by sharing the best tutorials, please do.

Thanks!

The problem with buying a used flash unit is that there's no reliable way to tell how much it's been used. Like any equipment, flashes don't last forever, and someone who uses one a lot could conceivably wear it out. That said, my observation is that professionals seem to buy better flashes, and use them less, as time moves on. (That may be due to cameras' improving low-light performance and better post-processing editors.) If I'm right, that factor could mitigate the risk.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements