cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I trigger my 600ex-rt with Strobes?

Corvette95
Apprentice

I cannot get my 600ex-rt's to fire optically with my profoto strobes. Does the 600 not have a traditional optical trigger and if so, what is the setting for it?

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

This may be what you want.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks, to be clear though, even to fire optically...its really infrared from the ST-E2 transmitter, the 600ex wont trigger from optical light from a strobe.....correct? I am using the new Profoto B1 with the TTL-C controller where the ST-E2 would mount on the hot shoe, so besides using a cable to the ST-E2, I want my 600's to fire from the firing of my B1's.....make sense?

I think thats the case.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

So when you say this is the case, I can't fire the 600 via visable light only with a 580ex or ST-E2 connected via cable? I have tried every your setting and I can fire from one 600 optically to the other 600 optically just fine, I just want to use BOTH of mine as viable light optical slaves just because my hot shoe is taken. Thanks for the early morning help!

@Corvette95 wrote:

Thanks, to be clear though, even to fire optically...its really infrared from the ST-E2 transmitter, the 600ex wont trigger from optical light from a strobe.....correct? I am using the new Profoto B1 with the TTL-C controller where the ST-E2 would mount on the hot shoe, so besides using a cable to the ST-E2, I want my 600's to fire from the firing of my B1's.....make sense?

Can't be done, without additional equipment.  Canon refuses to put simple optical triggers in their flashes; there's only the Canon Optical System, but your B1's don't speak that language.  Are you trying to shoot in eTTL?  I doubt it's possible to use two different eTTL systems simultaneously.  The instructions posted above are for stroboscopic effects, that has nothing to do with what you're trying to do.

You could get an optical peanut, but that would only work in manual of course.  And it'd be amusing to use a peanut to trigger a 600ex-RT.

http://flashzebra.com/products/0118/index.shtml

I have tried optical adapters - the cheap ones from Ebay, to fire the 600, it will fire it one time, then will not fire again. I either need an optical trigger or a dual sync cable set up (two 600 ex-rt's) and fire them in manual mode. Any help on what I can do. If you have specific product recommendations that would be great! What size sync cable will work with my 5D Mark III and my 600ex-rt?

Announcements